• In the Spotlight:

My son is 10 weeks old and his last bottle feeding of the night is at 11 pm. Every night I have to wake him up to feed him at this time. Should I be letting him sleep through this feeding and wake up on his own? Or should I be waking him then since the goal is for him to skip the middle of the night feeding? He has recently slept through the night a few times but has woken up in the middle of the night the past few nights hungry. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

esw16

Asked by esw16 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i always just let my daughter sleep.. she would wake us up when she was ready and hungry
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 3:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• If his weight gain is good, let him sleep.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I sounds like he might just be ready to sleep though the night. See what happens when you do not feed him. At 10-weeks he does need to eat so feed him when he wakes up.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Let him sleep! Unless the doctor says you have to wake him up to give a specific feeding, don't wake him up.

He's only 10 weeks old! If he's only waking up for one feeding in the middle of the night count yourself among the lucky!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• He's old enough that it's ok for him to sleep through the night, but not old enough that you should necessarily expect it, if that makes any sense. Basically, if he sleeps through the night, let him. If he wakes up hungry, feed him. Either way is ok. But it's past the point where you have to wake him up to feed him.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• But is that the long stretch i want him to have? My point is, shouldn't i be waking him at 11 so that he'll go through the night and not be hungry instead of eating at 8 and perhaps waking up at 2 or 3?
    esw16

Answer by esw16 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• my daughter started sleeping through the night at this age. imagine if you go to bed hungrt at night, does it wake you up? probably not. if your baby has 6-8 wet diapers a day, let him sleep! when he wakes up, he'll be really hungry. babies are never really good with schedules. lol. good luck
    lovinsophie

Answer by lovinsophie at 7:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2009