drug free teething solution?

My 5 month old daughter is going through hell with her teething pain and I can't figure out what to do. I don't want to give her drugs like Tylenol or orajel, and she HATES having anything cold in her mouth or near her face. I used this homeopathic teething stuff that is mostly chamomile, but her father flipped out about me "giving mind altering drugs to the baby" [rolls eyes] Any suggestions? I am very much AP so please don't tell me to "just let her cry" thanks.

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 3:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your husband is freaking hilarious, sorry. Chamomile is in no way mind altering?! He's weird, and obviously doesn't know about herbs. Let alone homeopathy! I say ignore him, since you probably are the one with the baby all day. 

Anywho. You have natural remedies, or drugs, those are your options. We use Gum-o-mile. It works great, and is rubbed onto the gums.

Also we would put a wet washcloth in the freezer, one of the baby ones, and then once it was stiff let her suck on it!

If you are breastfeeding, express some milk and put it in an ice cube tray. then get a mesh feeder and give her breastmilk cubes to "chew" on in the feeder. :) good luck.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Hyland's Teething Tablets. They help to calm.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• HYLANDS and BIO PLASMA MELTS
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 3:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Chamomile is not a mind altering drug, it is an herb...bah. So he would rather see her in pain than use a natural remedy?

Unfortunately when you rule out the cold there isn't much you can do. However, I do suggest wrapping an icecube in a wash cloth and hold it for her while she chews on it, my daughter hated the teething rings and things like that, but loved the icecube.

Also, as much as you don't want to, at some point you may want to consider giving her maybe 1/2 a dose of Tylenol. It really will help her if she is in that much pain...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Teething Tablets.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Guys, the Hylands is what she was talking about (I assume, since it is mostly chamomile) there is the tablets and then there is the teething gel. My daughter hated the tablets, but loved the gel.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• You have really boxed yourself in:

No Tylenol
    No Orajel
    No cold teethers
    No Homeopathic remedy
    No just let her cry

What is left? Rubbing her gums with whiskey.
    Anonymous

• They are perfectly safe.
    http://www.hylands.com/news/teethinginfo.php
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• ^it's mostly her father who made these rules :( I just want my girly not to hurt, her father says "no drugs" and she will NOT take anything cold.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 3:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Since its dad that says no drugs at all, then it should be dad that gets to get up with her all night while she is screaming, and dad that deals with her when he is at home, and I bet he changes his tune real quick.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2009