Sandifer's Syndrome Acid Reflux

My daughter has had 3 choking spells. One so bad we had to call 911. I was able to keep her revived until they got their, but it was a lot of mucus that got clogged into her throat. We went to the doctor and he said that he has seen this a thousand times. He called it Sandifer's Syndrome Acid Reflux. What happens is the spit up/mucus gets caught in there throat/esophagus and instead of spitting it up, like most babies with reflux it gets stuck and thus they choke. He said to add rice cereal to her bottles and put her on prevacid. Well I have two questions. Number one is, have you ever heard of this or know anyone or yourself children who has had this, if so please give me details and explain. Number two, the prevacid is a disolving tablet but she is only 2 1/2 months so we have been putting it in water and giving it to her but she spits it out. So I need advice on an easier way to give her medicine. All answers appreciated.

mirandagraham

Asked by mirandagraham at 3:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sandifers syndrome is not the actual mucus getting caught in the throat. It is the arching of the body due to the acid reflux. Babies with this will 'twitch', tilt and arch their bodies in a odd manner to help relieve the pain of reflux. If this is what is going on then it will be resolved when you get the reflux under control. Have you tried putting the prevacid in with her formula. If not then I would check with your doc and see if he is okay with you putting it in a little apple juice. PM if you have any questions.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I have an 18 month old with Sandifer's and as the last poster said, it is in fact not the mucus you spoke of but the result of the reflux. Our son has silent reflux and no signs of it at all. His Sandifer's is caused by a motility disorder. As far as the prevacid, I would go to a group of mothers who's children have reflux and ask. Our son takes a powder we mix with water and he just drinks once a day. But I have seen message boards just for advice on giving meds. One website I'd check out is momswearingpuke.com, and feel free to contact me if you just need support lol.
    Seveninourhome

Answer by Seveninourhome at 9:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2009