Anybody know a lot about Gestational Diabetes?

Here is my problem. This is my second pregnancy and this time I am having twins. I had GD with the first and I do again this time. Both times I have been managing it with my diet...or so I thought. I have 30 grams of carbs at breakfast and snacks and 45 at lunch and dinner. My sugar levels are always ok but I went in for an ultrasound on Thursday and they said my aminotic fluid is high and that it is common for women with GD. So I came home and read about it and though it does say women with GD are likely to have high fluid, every site says its usually because the GD isn't being controlled, but mine is!!! I do eat stuff that has sugar, such as yogurt and a strawberries with whipped cream on a daily basis. My question is, is this affecting my babies even though my sugar levels are ok?

Nathans_mom0612

Asked by Nathans_mom0612 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had GD and managed it with diet. I did not know that high fluid was a side affect of unmanaged GD. Even having GD, you can eat anything just stay within your limits. I would question your OB about this since you seem to have it under control just fine.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I kept my GD under control as well and I had high fluid, my OB didn't seem to be worried--she said as long as I ate what I was supposed to then it would be fine.
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I had GD with my last baby. I tried to control it with diet and I mean I did EXACTLY as the doctor and dietitian told me, I did NOT waiver one bit from it. It could not be controlled, so I was put on one shot a day, that couldn't control it, then it went to two. I ended up having an amnio to make sure baby had enough fluid and to see if baby was okay to take at 30 weeks. They ended up scheduling the c section 2 weeks later, they couldn't wait any longer. The statistics of the baby getting diabetes is higher, but not significantly. We have his sugar tested periodically just in case. Try eating or supplementing with cinnamon, I found that out afterwards, that cinnamon is a natural insulin regulator....!  Your other baby is fine right?!  Sending you hugs mama!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 3:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My sugar levels are completely normal...thats not the problem. The problem is the ultrasound is showing high levels of amniotic fluid even though my sugar levels are under control.
    Nathans_mom0612

Answer by Nathans_mom0612 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2009