Best age to introduce finger painting?

Do you think it is okay to introduce before age 2? I was thinking of trying it today and my girls are 21 months old.

deputywife

Asked by deputywife at 3:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can start fingering painting as a baby! Use pudding or something edible to finger paint with if you're afraid the baby might lick the paint! Its a ton of fun for them to explore :) They do make lots of nontoxic fingerpaints too just in case your little one did swallow some!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 3:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My dd didn't start finger paints until 13 months. Not really a need before then. She and I made a valentines card for DH while he was in basic. :) I don't see a point before they stop putting everything in there mouths...
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i agree with the first answer. you can have your girls fingerpaint at any age. we've done a lot with just pudding with some food coloring. but also non toxic fingerpaints. have fun!
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I don not feel there is an age for finger painting. I worked at day cares for a long time in many different age groups. It is all about how much work you feel like putting in to it. I did hand print spiders with my Daughter at Halloween and she was 8 months old. Then again I did hand print deer at Christmas. I did most of the work. She seemed to really enjoy after I was done with her hand print rubbing the paint all over a sheet of paper. I bought non-toxic paint just in case it went in her mouth, which it did!!! I feel it is NEVER to young to help children be creative. Just be open about the painting making a mess and it going in the mouth and you can have tons of fun. Good luck.
    RedneckMommy88

Answer by RedneckMommy88 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My son started at 9 months....he LOVES it! Crayola makes non-toxic fingerpaints. Kids love it!
    alexsmom713

Answer by alexsmom713 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I started as soon as they started to roll and scoot, around 6 months is good I think....There are edible finger paints, cant remember the company tho....
    mammaof3girls

Answer by mammaof3girls at 5:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I think any time is fine. We waited until they were 2 but only because we got some for their Christmas stockings and they turn 2 a month before. I think you could do it whenever you feel that your girlies are ready. Good luck!
    dusher

Answer by dusher at 8:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My daughters two. She loves finger painting. As long as it is non-toxic and she's supervised it should be fine.
    beccasmomabcd

Answer by beccasmomabcd at 10:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2009