IF you could ask? (jump off of the witch question)

If you could ask an atheist anything what would you ask them?
I see a lot of people assume atheists are mean, cold hearted, etc, etc, etc. I just want to clear the air by asking people to ask questions so they can learn more about atheism, and stop judging others based on that. There were a lot of positive questions asked in the witch post, and more acceptance since that post, and am hoping to get the same results. Serious questions only, bashing will not be tolerated.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 3:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would ask if they were "born that way". I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, but I see people who claim they once were Christian, Jew, etc. and something happened that changed their mind.

Personally I think everyone is born an atheist. Religion is something that is learned, through practice, ritual, prayer, etc.. I was born to a secular catholic mother and an atheist father. I didn't begin to learn about religion until I was older (8 years old or so) and my parents let me choose how much, when and where I wanted to learn. But I have always been an atheist. Even at the very early stages of my life, I just couldn't believe.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING, I WOULDN'T ASK ANY QUESTIONS, TO EACH HIS OWN.

Answer by older at 3:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• What gives you comfort when you are faced with death?

Most of us have a backup plan for the life after this one, but with out anywhere to go when you die, i would think it would be really sad and scary to face such a big issue.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I've found that different people have different ideas on what an 'atheist' is.

As a Buddhist, many consider me to be atheist because there is no 'God' in my religion (at least in the Biblical sense).

I've found that some people consider any belief system that does not believe in the God of Abraham to be an atheist (ex: Pagans, Hindus, etc would be considered atheists to these individuals).

And then I've known people that consider anyone non-Christian to be atheist.

Your thoughts?
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I don't agree with it but, everybody can make up there own mind, I guess I would simply ask why?
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

I don't worry about what is going to happen to me when I die, because that is not something within my control anyways, so why worry. For me, the scary thought is leaving my family behind, and will they be alright without me. I know so long as my children are safe, and well cared for, I can go peacefully. If my children are in danger, I will go kicking and screaming the whole way. After all I was non-existent all those years before I was born, so it couldn't have been all that bad.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 4:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Do you believe atheism, or anti-theism, as a social movement, is a religion in its own right?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Here's a question: What do you do when you have a problem a person couldn't help you with? Where do you find comfort?

I hope this isn't offensive, just wondering.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 4:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Couterhill, I'm not sure what kind of problem you are talking about? I've never run across a problem that couldn't be solved. Sure some take a lot of thought, and hard work, but in the end, I know that there isn't anything I can't do.

I find comfort in myself, my family, my friends.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• .Come judgement day..How about we all ask God then..Have a blessed day:)))))
    Anonymous