What does intimacy mean to you? (S/O of another question)

What does intimacy mean to you?

In my marriage, my husband works out of state so we only see each other 1 or 2 weekends a month. Even at that, when he does come home, we do not have sex every time. We haven't had sex in about 3 months so far! But to us, this isn't a problem because we believe there is more to intimacy than sex.

We will read books to each other while snuggled up together on the bed, or watch tv together, rent movies together, cuddle on the sofa, give massages to each other, random hugs and kisses "just because." These are just a few examples.

Intimacy to me is being close to my husband and showing him how much I love him, not necessarily in a physical way (i.e., sex).

Sex just isn't that important to our marriage and we've lived like this for the past 7 years (married for 11 years! Whoo-hoo!).

So, what is intimacy to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• I agree with you completely. My husband and I have attended a few couples retreats where they talk a lot about intimacy. For us too it is not just sex but cuddling, kissing, touching, hugging..writing love notes all the time...sending i love you texts....cards for no reason....little surprises for one another....
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• ohh, I want to cuddle now!!!
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• awww thats super sweet!
    kflwrgrl

Answer by kflwrgrl at 4:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I think it depends on the couple because there are many men and women for that matter...who view sex as a form of intimacy and don't feel loved without it. Its just their love language.
    Anonymous

• I feel the same way (at least part of it) that intimacy is way more than just sex. However, I do feel that sex is very important too in feeling completely connected to him. I feel close to him already, but after making love, I feel fully intimate with him.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Cuddling, kissing, sex, foreplay, holding hands, small touches here and thre, reading in bed together, talking about current events, cooking together, making videos of our daughter, walking to the park...Almost anything we do together really. But sex is big for us. We feel closer when we haven't gone over 6 days without sex. And I LOVE that.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My husband & I do every thing you said although he does come home every night (thank God!) but for us, for me, sex is very important too.

Not because of the fact that it's sex, but because it's just one of the ways we show affection, closeness, love, attention, dedication, devotion to another.

It's just one of the things not the most important but one of, just like the cuddeling, sitting on his lap, kissng, holding hands, smacking on the rear, solo dates (w/o the kids), reading to n1another, laying under the stars 2gether, etc...
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 6:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2009