• In the Spotlight:

I have a three and a half year old boy that is still not potty trained. What should I do? I feel so clueless!

My son Aidan will be four in July and he is still not potty trained. I need so advice on what I should be doing. I feel very clueless. So far in motherhood this has been my biggest challenge.

ajsmom23

Asked by ajsmom23 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You may want to look back at peoples answers to this same question from past posts. I notice daily that this is a question that many people have. I know that I have answered it numerous times. Unless the circumstances are unique the answers should give you ideas. If you still don't have your answer, then ask again.
    Anonymous

• Well, the fact that he is older might actually help, as u can talk to him and explain what is expected and why. If you are a stay at home mom, I would suggest just getting rid of all diapers during the day.. . even pull-ups. . . motivates you to be consistent, and makes it less comfortable for him if he has an accident. He'll have a few accidents, but in a week you should have him potty trained, at least during the day. Night time, is harder usually, just because the wake-up-and-pee takes a little longer to form of course.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 11:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• It took so long to get my 4 year old boy potty trained. Everyone has their own advice, but really you just have to try variations of things to see what works. Try rewards whenever he uses the potty. If that doesn't work, try the opposite. No tv if he pees in a pull up/diaper. Or any other activity he may enjoy to motivate him. None of these worked for my son, so I tried leaving him in his own wetness, which I thought would be uncomfortable but he did not mind. I started putting underwear on him to see if he would be more uncomfortable getting those wet. It didn't work. Finally, I started letting him go commando. Something about not wearing underwear or a pull up made him hyper aware of his need to use the bathroom. After about 2 weeks he was fully potty trained and doesn't even wet the bed in his sleep. Good luck to you, I know it can get extremely frustrating!
    buffymom

Answer by buffymom at 8:15 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I had my son wearing underwear off and on. He would never poop in the potty and usually only pee in it a few times a day, if he had underwear on. The week before his 4th birthday, we ran out of pull ups and I was about to go out to the store to buy them... when I said... NO MORE. I spent a months worth of diaper money on lots of underwear. I told him even if we have accidents, we are going to get through this! And, immediatly, he did. Its been 2 months, he has his accidents, mostly pee. We are still working on him being able to clean himself up, but really he is doing well. Having a bunch of character underwear helps too, because he loves wearing it soo much. Maybe try just switching over completely.
    Rshcraig

Answer by Rshcraig at 9:27 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Get him Pull-Ups and take him to the potty every 1-2 hours. Buy him some cute, new underwear, and tell him he can wear them when he learns to go potty.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 2:43 AM on Mar. 6, 2009