Help! My first grader wont return to class on time...

and it is becoming a saftey issue.

My six year old wont return to class on time so the teacher is forced to call someone to hunt him down. How do I punish this behavior? He seems to just not care that people are worried about him. I have taken his two favorite things from him..now what. Please help!!!

Sillymemommy11

Asked by Sillymemommy11 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Are you talking about returning from outside? If so then,let the punishment fit the crime! It needs to be handled at school since that is where it is occuring. The natural consequence seems to me to be that if he has to be hunted down at recess, then he misses 5 minutes of recess the next day , or however much time seems appropriate. If you are talking about him returning to class from gym or lunch, or some other indoor activity, then reward him in some way when he does come back to class appropriately. Tell him before he goes to the activity what the expecatation is and what the reward will be. Make sure it is something that is truly rewarding to him. When he follows the rules he gets the reward and when he does not then he doesn't and maybe if it continues then he looses the privaledge of going and coming back from the activity with the class. Maybe the teacher has to go with him. He might not like that!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Well, it depends on how much you are willing to sacrafice yourself. My son had that problem last year in third grade. I got all "Mommied up" (dressed and acted like a dorky mom) and went to school with him for a whole day. He had to hold my hand for everything INCLUDING lunch. He was so embarassed, but he had no problems getting back to class on time after that, and all of his classmates thought I was pretty cool for doing it. LOL
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 6:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I had that issue with my daughter. She was constantly tardy to class in the mornings and she said she wasn't done eating breakfast when the bell rang. She was getting to school the earliest she can be there so she had PLENTY of time to eat breakfast. She was just poking around like she always does. I told her I would not put enough money in her school account for breakfast anymore and she'd just have enough for lunch, if she continued to poke around and be tardy. I told her she would just eat breakfast at home. She wasn't tardy anymore after that. She was going straight to breakfast without dropping her backpack off in her class (that way the teacher knows she's there and not tardy or absent) she's only in 2nd grade. She had 45 mins to eat breakfast, plenty of time. She would have to get tardy slips for being late and then, of course, it was unexcused.
    Anonymous