I have a 6month old that has a horrible diaper rash for atleast 5 days +. Everytime I clean her off it bleeds. I've tried Destin, Balmex, A&D & i've mixed the 3 together...I took her to the doctor today and he said keep doing what your doing, WTF it isn't working. Anyone have and ideas of what I can do??

ColtensMom2006

Asked by ColtensMom2006 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would try Butt Paste. When my son had a really bad rash it was the only thing that worked.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 4:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Are you sure it's not a fungus diaper rash? I'm not sure what the symptoms of a fungus diaper rash might be. It's just a thought. I used "Calmoseptine Ointment" which you have to purchase/order from the pharmacy. It's non-prescription. And my son had a regular diaper rash, but his skin was so raw. That was the only thing that helped.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 4:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I would try an Anti-botic cream that you can buy over the counter... it's also known as First - Aide cream but also continue to use the other items or some vaseline to protect from wettness...
    Poor thing... I hope it goes away soon for both your sakes

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Kaylee had a bad rash like that only one time, when she was around 2 months old. What we finally did was lay down a trash bag, lay a towel on top of the bag, and let her be out completely naked no diaper and let her air out a little. The fresh air can do wonders for helping her heal. We had a little jungle thing that had toys hanging above her head that we used to keep her occupied at the time.
    I don't know if your 5 month old is crawling yet, but if so try letting her be naked in the kitchen so that any mess is easy to clean up.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Poor baby. I don't suppose there is some way she could be left undiapered for a few hours?

Answer by Bmat at 4:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Sounds like a yeast rash....you might want to check with your ped, but mine had me use regular monistat on my dd for hers.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• CarolynBarnett's suggestion is a great one. ... Until recently, I did not know that oxygen itself is antiseptic ! ... Also, if you aren't using cotton diapers, I would be suspicious of the chemicals in disposables, especially those magical crystals which "keep baby drier" - which means they are sucking moisture from the child's skin too.

Best wishes !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Sometimes all those diaper creams and ointments do not always work, it really depends on the type of baby skin they have we are all different just like our finger prints.

Instead of using all these products try alittle bit of baby shampoo with luke warm water and  gently wipe the area with a damp cloth  then go back and rinse the  area. But do it in soft gentle motions kind of a dab motion not a wipe that for sure will be bad. And let it air dry don't put anything until you see a difference. I hope this works for you baby like it did mine. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• my dd had one just like that bleeding and all. I gave her an oatmeal bath everyday (yes just pour oatmeal in the bath) i used aquaphor lotion (it has a moisture barrier for chapped skin) and thats all i could do BUT once it hit its worst point (about 5 days) i looked in her mouth and her tooth broke through and 24 hours later it was magically gone. My mom said it always happened to me right before i got a tooth and my friends kids.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 4:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Is it shiny on some parts? Sounds like a yeast infection. It is especially common if you are breastfeeding but can happen otherwise too. Get some vagasil, or even my pedi is big on Athlete's foot cream (it is the same type of fungus and killed the same way). Just a thin layer. It should help almost imediately, seeing a difference in just a few hours or over nite if that's what it is. Google baby yeast infection for pics of similar stuff and compare to how your dd is looking.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2009