How do I get my 7 month old son to take a bottle. He refuses it, and I really want to stop breastfeeding. I have let him go over 8 hours and he would rather not eat. HELP

LolaCassandra

Asked by LolaCassandra at 11:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think many moms that breastfeed go thru tough times with nursing and want to stop, so don't feel bad about it. My 7 month old has always refused a bottle regardless of what I put in it. He recently started taking a sippy cup with juice and water, but he will spit out my milk if I put it in his cup. some babies just prefer the breast. The only suggestion that I can offer is to have someone else offer the baby a bottle--someone that the baby knows and is comfortable with. and you shouldn't be around. as long as baby knows that nursing is an option, he'll probably hold out for it. BTW--I tried almost every type of bottle and nipple out there and nothing worked.

Just try to remember why you decided to breastfeed. maybe it'll give you some inspiration to keep going. good luck!
    sbailey

Answer by sbailey at 1:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Awwww...poor little one!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• From what I have experienced, he will eat when he is hungry. Are you giving him breastmilk or formula, you may have to pump and ween to formula. Or, try a sippy cup. Just keep giving him the bottle, he will get it. Try different types of nipples as well, there may be one he can get a good latch on and try ot hold him close just like breastfeeding. I've been there, only mine was younger.
    amt27

Answer by amt27 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I had this problem as well. I tried several different types of nipples, and finally found one he would take. It was a little more expensive than regular nipples, but it resembled breastfeeding the most. Good luck!
    jamie8506

Answer by jamie8506 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You should get the playtex nursers. The nipples are supposed to be in the shape of the mother's nipple and if you choose to pump your breastmilk you can always store it and freeze it. If you choose formula that may take time, since the tastes differ from breast milk.
    Sexymom75

Answer by Sexymom75 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• awww poor baby he just wants whats best, he needs the closeness, and wants to nurse, that is just sad that hed be denied that :(
    mimom423

Answer by mimom423 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• He doesn't want to not eat. He wants to nurse. You've really denied your baby food for 8 hours?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Why are you stopping so early and so abruptly? You are doing it in the worse possible way for both you and for baby.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• why do you want to give formula??? would you drink it...gross! dont deny food that is sad, if you feel the absolute need to switch do it gradually... mix a tad of formula in the b milk ,,, but do some research on suggested bfeeding time it might change your mind, at least i hope it does!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• try different nipples and just see which one is the right one. im sure sumthing will work..
    queenbee8r

Answer by queenbee8r at 1:37 AM on Jun. 20, 2008