My daughter is three weeks and 5 days old. She broke out with a really bad rash about 7 days ago. At first they said that it was baby acne but then it spread to her chest and back and all over her face and head and neck. Now they say it is cradle cap.

I am really not sure. I have been using aquaphor on it but it is not clearing up at all. The doc told me to wash her hair with selsum blu but I think that might be too harsh for her. Does anyonw have any advice or remedy? Does anyone think I should get a second opinion

I stopped washing her in Johnson and Johnson's thinking she was allergic and that hasn't helped.

jiannismom

Asked by jiannismom at 4:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cradle cap is going to be yellow and scaly looking, not so much rash-like.

Try hydrocortisone cream and see if it is excema (sp?)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Can I use that though she is so young
    jiannismom

Answer by jiannismom at 4:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Ask your doctor about it, but my daughter had a mild case and at her 2 weeks appointment I asked about it and that is what her pediatrician suggested. I too thought it was a little young, so I held off until she was a month old, but it cleared her up within 2 days. However, she wasn't as severe as it sounds like your daughter is, so it may take a little longer for anything you try.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• thank you so much
    jiannismom

Answer by jiannismom at 4:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My neices baby has that right now,I thought she was crazy,when she said the dr said she had cradle cap on her chest,back etc.They also told her,head and shoulders,selsen blue,just avoid the eyes,then she bathes her in aveeno baby wash,and uses the lotion. Now they are telling her she has a protien allergy, to,so she is now on thatt nugtgen( special milk lol).
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• What type of laundry detergent do you use for her? If it is cradle cap then use olive oil and not anything with chemicals
    Anonymous

• it almost sounds like what my son had they found out it was a bad case of exma and cradal cap,,,,and we have to now do a bath every two days and use aveno for exma...i guess the water drys out the skin and makes it worse,,,, now he just has a fes spots on his head but its not nearly as bad as it was
    babybryce

Answer by babybryce at 5:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• california baby has some great products for that, their calendula lotion clears up excema, and cradle cap, and most other things, they also have some teatree baby shampoo that's good for cradle cap, you can find it at like whole foods.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• o p.s, the cali baby stuff iis more $, but it worked better for my baby then aveeno
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• has the baby had a fever, because when my 8 year old was little she broke out in a rash from head to toe from having a fever. Sorry, it's been so long ago I don't remember what the doctor prescribed.
    suhweet1

Answer by suhweet1 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2009