Stop Hitting!!!

my son is two and in this hitting with objects and laughing, I don't know how to correct him. I yell or take things away but he thinks it's all a game. Any advice how to control this???

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 4:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put him in time out in his crib or someplace he can't get out. Be consistent. Every time he does it take the object away and put him in his time out spot.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I know!!!!! Mine is doing the same thing.... He knockd my glasses off the other day... I try to take action but he just keeps going... :( Im in the boat with ya mama...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Take the object and put it elsewhere, get down to his level, take his hands in yours and look him in the eyes and tell him t's not okay, and that he mustn't do it, calmly. Ask him if he understands, and if he says no, explain again, and if he says yes, let him run along. No need for punishment or 'time outs'. He will learn through you teaching him gently.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I would do what ladysavage suggested but disagree that there is no need for punishment. Once your child agrees with you that he understands that he isn't to do it but then does it anyway, he's done something wrong. That to me deserves a "time-out." Different children push the limits different ways. If gently teaching him only results in him realizing he's only going to get a "nice talking to" instead of consequences that he doesn't like, he's never going to listen.
    Anonymous