My son is 17 months old, Hes still drinking a bottle. How do i get him to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take it away and deal with it..He will get use to it..You have to.
    Anonymous

• when i broke my son from the bottle, i just took it from him. i tried to find a sippy cup where the nipple was soft like a nipple to a bottle. the only problem with that is if he chews on the nipple, it leaks. my little boy took the cup really well during the day but at night he was not a happy fellow. he will get the hang of it. good luck
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• The easiest thing to do is take it away. I mean get all of them out of the house. He will drink from a cup if he is thirsty enough.
    anorman08

Answer by anorman08 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I waited too long to take the bottle away from DD too, I was SO WORRIED about it, I planned it so it would be over a long weekend because I was sure it would be a nightmare! We took it away, she asked for it maybe twice we said no, she didn't freak and that was that. What a relief. Just do it and hide all evidence cause if he sees them he'll want them. One thing that did happen is my DD would not drink milk from a sippy for a long time...that was all she got out of the bottle, but Dr. said no big deal with the amount of yogurt and cheese toddlers eat she wasn't missing out. It took months before she'd drink milk again.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• he'll stop when he's ready. my daughter didn't stop drinking out of a bottle until she was 2. all kids are different and not all kids follow the 'guidelines' for when they are suppose to be 'off' things.
    zombie_mommy

Answer by zombie_mommy at 5:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I just took the bottle away, threw it in the trash and handed him a sippy cup. I'm not a big fan of coddling my children to get them to do something new. When he was thirsty, he figured out pretty quickly how to drink from that sippy.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Quit giving it to him. Give him his drinks in a sippy cup and when he gets thirsty enough he will drink.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Throw them out! Every last one of them, so that you don't feel bad and give one to him to stop a tantrum if one occurs. As for the comment a PP made, my son's ped told me that it was horrible for his teeth and for his speech to continue using a bottle for very long past 1 year. My son was around 14 months when I finally forced myself to throw them all out... I don't remember it being too bad, though (he's 2 now, and the things that seemed like bad experiences back then are nothing compared to the terrible two's lol). Anyway, good luck!
    mommabeth15

Answer by mommabeth15 at 12:07 AM on Mar. 4, 2009