• In the Spotlight:

If you could afford to send your child to a boarding school, would you do it starting in elementary grades, or just for high school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope. Not with the world the way it is - you NEED to have a close relationship with your children, and you cannot have that if someone else is being their mother day -to-day. (Or worse yet, NO one is being their mother.

Even in High School it is such a risk to cut off the daily relationship. Kids' ideas about right and wrong, their ideals, are formed during High School. Nowadays they get too much input from TV and from other kids, this gets in the way of developing compassion or maturity. I would not step out of their world and completely turn them over to these other influences.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• do you mean private school?? why would you want to send your kid to boarding school?
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Not for elementary school. Maybe for high school. That is only because I've seen he benfitis of boarding school in my husband. And I didn't get that benfit. I personally though would want it to be in the same city so that I could see my kid more frequently.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i could see the benefits of boarding school but I think elementary is too young. Maybe high school and one nearby....
    btw, to those that say you need the close relationship etc.etc.etc.
    In HS the times when my mother and I were the closest was when she would kick me out and I was living with my grandmother, then we talked everyday.
    Depending on the child, school, reasons for going etc. I think it could be GREAT.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Nope...never. Now for college I'm shipping him off!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 10:02 AM on Mar. 4, 2009