Anyone here can say they had a truly happy childhood?

I have problems w/ my parents growing up. Seems to me people I know or stories I heard also seem to have problems or resentments too whether it's much worse or not as bad. So can anyone truly say one has a happy childhood. It scares me to think that no matter how I believe I'm raising my children on what I think is right, one thing or another they might resent me for it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had an AMAZING childhood. Of course there are things my parents could have done differently but they loved me and treated both me and my Brother fantastically. They love us unconditionally and have ALWAYS stood behind us in whatever we chose to do. They are still to this day two of my best friends. I am the amazing Mother I am today because of both the good and the not so good things my parents did while raising us.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• yes, I can say that I had a very happy childhood :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I had a WONDERFUL childhood. I got to be a kid, big backyard, dad made lots of money i got whatever i wanted. i had brothers and sisters to play with, we went on fun family vacations. It was awsome....now my teenage years were a different topic. :)
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 5:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• by the way, your kids are most likely going to resent you while they are teenagers and maybe even into their early 20s not matter WHAT you do....but once they mature into true adults they will know whether or not you raised them well... I HATED my mom when i was a teenager, and looking back I see that it was for no reason. I just hated any rules.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• LOL ClvDandJ on the teenage years.

Would your brothers and sisters agree with you? Or do you think one of them might have a different view? That's how it usually is too among my friends. One would think it's great while the other not so much.
    Anonymous

• I had a great childhood. My parents were divorced from the time I was very little, but I was happy. I was raised by a single dad. My brothers and I had a lot of fun.

Now, my teen years are a whole different story, but that was MY fault.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 5:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I did have a happy childhood, yes. Of course, there are always tough times now and then growing up for everybody - but was very lucky, and over-all I was a very happy child.

My parents were seperated since I was 3, and I have 4 other siblings - but my parents were still a team after they splt - and they still to this day share the same parenting philosophys. They were, like I am now, advocates for the "attachment" style of parenting, although it was just known as parenting to them, these days it has to be given a name.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I also had a happy childhood. My parents divorced before I could remember, and I had a stepfather and everyone got along, I saw my dad all the time. Sure, I had teen BS angst, but who doesn't...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yes, I had a truly happy childhood. I felt loved by my family through thick and thin.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I did not. I have very early memories, but I am hard pressed to remember any good times if my mom was involved.

I have some good memories with my dad...but not enough to make up the difference between a good childhood and a not so great one.

It wasn't horrible, I mean, I survived. But there was physical and emotional abuse....Something I work very hard to not inflict upon my kids.
    Anonymous