Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when does child support end?

my stepdaughter just turned 17. she will turn 18 mid-feb of 2010. she does not live with her mother, though we continue to send her child support check to the mother. (the mother requested we send the checks to her mother, SD maternal grandmother, but we said only if you send us the request in writing, which she did not do) the order for support says to send the money directly to SD when she turns 18, but then, how do i know when to stop altogether? when she finishes HS? when she's 21? the court order doesnt say!

Answer Question

Asked by autumnnoel at 5:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (22)
  • they can extend it til shes 19 but thats the latestt it can go

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

  • In some states it stops at 21 IF the child is enrolled in college - even sometimes if no college but still living at home! Check your state.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

  • It should say in the child support papers. Child support can continue past 18 if the child is enrolled in college. Do what the order says if it says to send the money to the child.

    Answer by ZaTa at 5:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

  • Check the papers for sure. Usually,it depends on circumstance,such as if the child goes on to college or is still in highschool when they turn 18. Depends..

    Answer by guardmp_MOM at 4:44 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • i would go and check with the courts on that one i know when my mother got it from my dad for us kids it was until we where out of school or turned 18 so if she graduates before 18 and doesn't go too college still have too pay till 18 but if she don't graduate till 19 you have too still pay until she does if she go too college then you still pay until she graduate from there too

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • call your atty and ask

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:41 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • You will need to contact the CS/Family court ... in some states the cs stops at 18 some stop at 18.6 yrs and others will continue until 19-21 if still in school... you will have to talk to someone who is familar with the laws in your state...

    Answer by gmasboy at 12:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • typically it's 18 or graduate from high school. Check with your attorney as it could very by state.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • In Ohio it ends when they turn 18 unless they are still in an accredited high school then it goes until they graduate.


    Answer by salexander at 4:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

  • All states are different on legal age. If she wants to go to college she can make you pay for it -but- she will have to get a lawyer and the child would have to be enrolled and currently going. Then it is based on BOTH parties income on what you will have to pay. Like if she makes more money and he don't then it would be like 80-20, 80% for her to pay and 20% for him and so forth. They base it on the highest best colleges near to you. If there is back child support IRS will get your tax return and send it to her but you will still pay after the legal age untill its over. I would go to child support recovery and tell them you want to pay through them to settle the other matter and they will figure it up and then you'll know and have proff. She also will have to be making good grades in school at the time. Save all recipts or she can make you pay it again, All $22,000.of it!! CRAZY B****!!! Sorry been through hell!


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.