Are there any opportunities for me at all?

Granted Im disabled, but frustrating as it is..I WANT to work. Vocational Rehabilitation listed me as 'not employable' last month, which devistated me.

I know its not realistic to think that being bedbound can yield any productive job opportunities. This kills me inside, because I am intelligent woman who's brain works, but her body does not. I feel worthless as a mom and person. I hate being on public assistance.

I hear on TV constantly about the stimulus and creating jobs, but for those like me, that seems like an unattainable dream. SS says I can do something up to a certain amount of hours, but docs say I cannot do even that. Even one day a week would make me feel productive.

I still mourn the life I used to have, when i worked full time and had all sorts of benefits and being fully financially contributing to society.

My family already drowned financially and I feel powerless to do anything about it.

lilmizmoore1127

Asked by lilmizmoore1127 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What is your disability?
    Anonymous

• I have MS, and nerve damage in both my legs. I had a stroke at age 30, Its progressed to my hands and Im starting to have issues typing. I sometimes lose feeling in both my hands
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Doctors shouldn't tell you that you can't do anything what ever happened to you can do what you put your mind to, what is your disability, I'm sure there is something out there that could make you feel fufilled.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 5:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• What about being a web mistress? Like updating and revamping websites? I don't know how much it would pay, probably not much at first, but as word of mouth got around, you could do pretty well. What is your education and skill level / experience? I don't really think it matters what your disability is, considering you know how much and what type of work you can handle.

Anonymous

• I have a bachelor's degree in marketing, and was a former admin. assistant.
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 5:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I have heard of people who cannot type being able to get something so they can speak and have it automatically type for them. I think there was a group that could get grants for people to have the machine. Have you tried to research special groups that may be able to help you? Maybe some support groups that can lead you in the right direction?
    If you could get something like that maybe you could write childrens books or something like that.
    I would not stop being active as much as you can even if your Dr. said to stay in bed and don't do anything . You have to live your life to it's fullest and only you can decide what that is.
    I hope you find a solution.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Thanks, itsmesteph11, Ill definately look into that
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Good advice steph.Lilmizmoore don't ever give up hun...I admire your ambition.God bless you
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• thank you to all for the advice and support. i sincerely appreciate it. thank god for the internet because it virtually gets me out and about! ;-)
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I think there are a number of online jobs you can do. There is a survey site that actually pays in cash I used to go to when my DH was unemployed. We made a couple of bucks that way.

As far as what the doc's say, laying around will only get you depressed. Do whatever you physically can and rest when you feel tired. You do have one tiny advantage-companies can get a nice tax break for hiring you.

I would also look into online support groups for people with your particular disability. They will be able to help you far more than I ever could because they know who can help you.

God Bless you in your search. I hope you find something.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2009