How and when did you do this?

How did you transition your child into a toddler bed? At what age?

HaydensMommy007

Asked by HaydensMommy007 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 1st DD was 20 months, my 2nd DD was 18 months, but she was a little more independent than her big sis. They both did fine with it. Just make a big deal over "Your new big boy/girl bed!!" Have them go with you at the store to "pick" it out if possible.....and hand them the money to "pay" for it too...it gives them a lot of ownership.
    steveswife1130

Answer by steveswife1130 at 6:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• We put them in regular beds at 15 months.

We set it up and took down the crib. (out of sight, out of mind) The first time they slept in it was for a nap (not so dark for them). We just did the normal routine that night and put them to bed.

The youngest was the only one to give us any trouble. We spent a week or two putting him back, putting him back, putting him back, putting him back....you get the idea. lol

The older two just went to sleep.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I put my dd in a toddler bed around 13 months, because she started climbing out of her crib, as soon as I left the room. I figured if she was going to get out anyways, at least she wouldn't be falling out! We put it up right away, and just put crib sheets on for the first few days, until she could pick out the exact bed set she wanted. Often, we will find her, all of the blankets, toys and stuffed animals in her room in a pile in front of the heater. She loves to make her bed, but would much rather sleep in front of the heater.

She just turned two. If she hadn't figured out how to get out of her crib, she would still be in it!!!! Well, I would have taken her out a few weeks ago, when get became potty trained!
    MrsMikeyFelter

Answer by MrsMikeyFelter at 6:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• We just switched my daughter at 20 months... It was pretty easy. We just took off the rails and threw her in there... No problems really... The first few nights she really didn't want to stay in there, And kept getting out, but after a while she just got used to it and took it! She's done real well, but Nap times can be a pain. It's light in her room so She wants to get out and play. It helps that we have a toy chest in her room, because every night before bed we have a clean-up party to help put the Toys to sleep too! She gets the idea and doesn't really play with them at night. But I really don't want to do that at nap time too!! Good Luck
    HeatherM0529

Answer by HeatherM0529 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i haven't yet, but magnus is starting to climb. i have a feeling he'll be in a toddler bed by summer.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 6:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Our son is over two and still in his crib. The mattress is all the way to the floor and the top of the crib is about under his arms. He's three feet tall, but not able to climb or lean out. We will convert the crib into a toddler bed when the top of the rail gets lower on his chest.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• honestly, my son just turned one yesterday, and he's been in his toddler bed ever since... nine months, i'd say. he never even seemed to notice a transition as far as going to sleep is concerned, but if i'm taking my time fetching him in the morning, he does get out of bed and shake the babygate i've set up in his doorway. i hear he's a fairly rare case, most babies apparently hate leaving the crib, but he never seemed to care much for his crib anyway. i just hope he doesn't change his mind about it when the new baby comes in may!
    swagger

Answer by swagger at 8:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2009