How and when did you do this?

How did you transition your child in to a toddler bed? At what age?

HaydensMommy007

Asked by HaydensMommy007 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son was a little over 2 and we put him in a twin bed. He was big enough that we explained that he was getting a big boy bed, and we let him help pick it out. He loved it.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My oldest we switched when he was about 22 months old as we needed the crib for new baby coming. He did great, we really just had to stay with him alittle longer but still left him awayke, he got up a few times the first night, and only 1 or 2 times the second, the transition took about a week. Just stay consistant and things will go good. My 2nd we switched at about 2 1/2 years, he was trying to crawl out of his crib, and same routine, he did fine as well. Good luck!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My oldest was about 2. She did fine. We used the same mattress so it felt the same.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Mine is 2.5 and still in her crib. She has both a crib and a bed and can choose eitiher. She always chooses her crib.
    We read stories about getting a big bed and we talk about it. I can tell she is trying to get comfy with the idea but isn't there yet. For us, there is no rush. She is struggling to master so many "big girl" things that I see no reason to cause still more stress.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• right before his 2nd bday and he did great he felt like a BIG BOY!! we have the little tikes blue race car bed and he didnt want to get out of it...hes slept in it every night since and hes almost 3!!!
    TSSN88

Answer by TSSN88 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• At the age of two. Is when I did my oldest. I really didnt have troubles with him going to his big boy bed.
    Brandie7

Answer by Brandie7 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My oldest had just turned 2. We needed the crib for her brother (who was already 8 months old).
    Our son was 20 months and started climbing out and we needed the crib for the next baby (who was already 7 months old).
    Our middle daughter used it as a crib until she was 2 1/2 and then we took the side off and it was a toddler bed.
    Our youngest was in the pack n play until she was too big at 23 months and then got a big girl bed.
    The only ones that gave us trouble were the 2 youngest. The middle girl just wasn't ready when we tried it the first time at 2 but did fine a few months later.
    The youngest didn't have a choice (since she didn't fit in the PNP) and threw a fit every night for 2 weeks then finally adjusted and now, a year later, loves her bed.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• we moved our little girl at about 18 months. she would stay with either grandma or her aunt when i was at work and DH had to work. They did not have cribs, just toddler beds. She slept great in them and even slept longer. So we decided one day to just switch her over. Her crib is the one that turns into a toddler bed, so it was not a big switch for her.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 10:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• When he climbed out of his crib at 11 mos.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 1:37 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• 14 months. Landon stopped sleeping well. He would wake up in a hysteria, b/c he was "trapped," in his crib. DH and I converted it to the toddler bed, dealt with a week of him not understanding that he had to stay IN bed, then all was well. He's 20 1/2 months now and sleeps great in it.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 1:12 AM on Mar. 9, 2009