is my 3 year old too active?

hy i have a 3 year old son he is very active hes always running, jumping, and doing something but is never still. he is very smart because he knows spanish and english he counts to 15 in english and 13 in spanish he learns everything that is thought to him really fast but the teachers from preschool have told me that they cant get him to stay sitted down for a minute and everyone tellls me that he is too active for his age does anyone think this is normal or something i should worry about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Health

• Not yet. He may just be bored with the work in preschool. I think teachers and doctors are too fast to judge a kid "hyperactive" He's a little boy, let him be active. If it is still a problem in kindergarten then ask the pediatrician about it. Right now it could be just immaturity or like I said boredom

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Ah, my middle child was/is like that. She's almost 5 now....and we had to medicate her. (She had a big problem with aggression too, so don't go running to the DR asking for it.) He is in a new stage, could be testing his limits so to speak, I wouldn't worry too much. It could be just who he is, which is a good thing. Embrace his outgoing personality for now!!! Good Luck momma!!
    steveswife1130

Answer by steveswife1130 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• It sounds about right for 3!!!

(and 4 and 5 and 6, lol)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My 3 year old is bouncing off the walls and I mean literally, bouncing! They're boys, they like to run around in circles for no reason. I think it's normal.
    Anonymous

• Up to a certain point it is expected and "normal". However, if nothing is helping him to control his impulses when it's expected (even on a daily basis...in other words he has to be reminded every day) then maybe check into it further.

Make a note of it though. Start documenting things now...what the teachers say, what you notice at home, etc....you'll probably be able to throw it all away later...but better to have it now. And it will help you see if it's consistent behavior in all settings.

My 5 year old was just recently diagnosed with ADHD...and while I'm not saying that's what is going on with your son, I'm saying that if others are bringing things to your attention, to PAY attention.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Sounds normal for a three year old for me.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 11:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2009