how do you know when you are in real labor?

i've been having bad pains and stuff but no water is leaking or nothing and the pains are not every 5 to 10 minutes.

babyonlyme

Asked by babyonlyme at 2:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Generally they get closer together with increasing tension/pain and they do not go away with activity or relaxation. Try a warm bath or a short walk to see if either has any effect.
    faeriemamma

Answer by faeriemamma at 2:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• If your contractions are regular between 3-5 minutes apart then you need to call your doctor and head to the hospital. Your water doesn't always break when in real labor, mine didn't, they had to break mine. You may also get a bloody show. Good Luck.
    MrsSpecialistB

Answer by MrsSpecialistB at 2:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• You have a baby in your arms LOL
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 4:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Your contractions will be a lot closer together. At first mine were 5 minutes apart. I got up and started walking around the house. That's when they came like every minute!
    mommy2PR

Answer by mommy2PR at 8:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• This is what my doc told me - first, drink a lot of water. Dehydration can cause contractions. If you need some tylenol for the pain, that's ok. Then lay down on your left side and keep a list of when you feel contractions. If you have 6 or more in one hour, go to Labor and Delivery. You might be in full labor. You don't have to lose your mucus plug, have a bloody show or break your waters to be in full blown labor - I didn't have any of the above with my first. And if you're still not sure, just go ahead to the hospital - the nurses will NOT think you're overreacting or anything - they do this all the time. Don't be embarrassed if it's just false labor either. Just remind yourself that you're a mommy now and you're gonna do what's best for your baby. Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS!
    chezkris10

Answer by chezkris10 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• when the pain get SERIOUSLY unbearable!!!
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 2:53 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You will definitely know when you're in labor. It will build in intensity, grow closer together and you're body will alert you with other signs. If you have to ask, it's probably not labor, that's a pretty good rule of thumb. HOWEVER, there *are* women who have very easy, mild labors...but I would assume that's the rarity. :)
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 2:59 AM on May. 12, 2009