Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you file for a divorce? Where do you go?

Do you have to pay and will they give you the papers when you go? Please explain this to me. What happens once you have the papers? Will it go through if one person does not sign or does the paper have to be signed and turned in before the divorce is in progress?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (4)
  • You can get information free from the clerk of the court but I think you do have to pay to either get the paperwork or have it filed...IDK about the other parts...sorry

    Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

  • If there is no property owned by the couple or children by the marriage many communities allow you to file a divorce on your own without an attorney. If you do own property together or have children together you need an attorney. You can go to legal aid and file if you have no money. Mine didn't cost me anything. There is usually a waiting period after the papers are filed to give him a chance to respond to what you are asking for in the divorce. Yes, divorces can go through without the other party signing but there are a few more steps to be taken if you don't know where the spouse is so they can be served with the papers. If the spouse doesn't show up for court (and it is shown he/she was served with the papers and notice of court date) you win by default. You might want to check your state statutes to verify. You can go to and click on KNOW THE LAW and put in your state and see what it offers you.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

  • u do have to pay for it.. but you can ask for a papar saying you cant affort it.. or set up payment.. if he wont sign it dont matter.. it might take longer but you will still get divorced if you want more info let me know

    Answer by miss_nevin at 7:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

  • You have to pay the filing fee unless you use legal aid, and then you have to qualify for that. I got an attorney, pd the retainer fee and the filing fee seperate. I got back money that wasn't used for the divorce. All together it was 3500.00 but that also included a restraining order. It's in your best interests to use an attorney unless it's a non-contested divorce.

    Answer by 4x4mum at 7:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships

Next question overall (General Parenting)