Parenting advice..what worked for your family.

My son is now 9 1/2 months old and is crawling all over the place and standing up all the time and grabbing anything and everything. He loves to stand up directly in front of the TV and try to play with the speakers etc. I don't know what to do to get him to listen to me. I have tried to give him other toys and then i also tried a slight slap on his hand.. and neither worked. I am not fond of disciplining children by spanking/slapping his hand... and plan to try positive parenting w/out these. I am having a really difficult time figuring out a way to make him understand not touching the TV and speakers... He seems to listen and understand with other things/items i don't want him playing with but not this.. Any advice would help. What worked for you? Any Advice?

Borikaos

Asked by Borikaos at 6:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Google a product called TV guard. It's a plastic shield that we used to keep our son from messing with the buttons on our set.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• We started modified time outs as soon as they started moving (6 months for us).

They get one warning and re-directed. The second time they were turned around, sat on the floor in front of us and we gently held them there for maybe 30 seconds. A quick "no touch" and let them go on their way.

Repetition is the key. It took a while, but by the time they were a year old we only had to do it once a day...on average. They learned what it meant when we told them "no".

The youngest is 2 now and we usually only have to tell him "no" and threaten with a time out now....

(and when they are old enough to understand, we obviously talk to them about why they can't/shouldn't do something)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Great question! My 7 month old is now pretty mobile and I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I just found his hand in the dog bowl so I'm now realizing that I really have to start baby proofing my house, but I also want to start teaching him boundaries. It's just hard because I don't want to yell at or punish him when he's still so young and just curious!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Be adamant on redirection of attention. The minute baby goes over, take baby out of the situation (into another room) and give baby another toy to play with, sing a song, interact in some other way. At that age redirection is the only savior to such no nos. Spanking, smacking do very little if anything at all positive, baby is just now getting the concept of object permanence the thought that a child will "understand" spanking / swatting is inane! Redirect, redirect, redirect. It takes patience and repetition. It will not be a one time thing but you will both be happy with the end results.

Anonymous

• You NEVER need to slap a baby on the hand (or bottom) to teach them to listen. The bottom line is, that for the next several months, you will have to physically get up and go move your baby when he is doing something he is not supposed to be doing. You tell him "No, don't touch the speakers" and pick him up and move him, and find something he can touch. Plan on doing this about 50,000 times in the next few months. This is how you get them to listen to you. IT will not happen overnight, not even in the next month, just like baby doesn't learn to walk overnight.
    At the same time, do what you can to remove temptations.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2009