why would they ask this??

i went to my sons WIC appointment today. it was time to recertify. they were putting the info in the computer and asking the normal questions. Then asked how much tv my son watches a day. i have never been asked that. does anyone know why they would ask that question? it didnt bother me because my son (hes 2) doesnt watch alot of tv. he doesnt sit still enough to watch one full episode of anything. so it was no big deal but im curious. thanks ladies

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Probably because if they think he watches too much they'll make you watch a damn video about the importance of outdoor exercise.
    Anonymous

• Probably for studies sake. For when they come out with those awesome (note sarcasm) studies about how poor peoples kids watch more TV, are stupider, can't do anything right, poor people are terrible, you know the drill. I think most of those studies are ABSURD but that's probably why they asked.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 6:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Did you have to answer it? What question is next? I'd probably say it was noyb.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Because they have nothing better to do than try to pretend they know more than your own pediatrician and that THEY know what's better for your kid than you or the doctor.

Yeah...I have a bad taste in my mouth where WIC representatives are concerned. I think it's a great program...I'm glad it's there to help kids...I used to be on it.

However, when they made me bring in my son to EVERY recertification appointment because they thought he was UNDERWEIGHT (he was in the 99th freakin' percentile!!) I lost confidence in them.

When they told me that he would have to start drinking 1% milk when he turned 2 because that was what was best for him...when the pediatrician wanted him on 2% milk...and told me I was giving him clogged arteries and heart disease by not putting him on 1% or skim milk...I lost ALL confidence in those bozos. (and I mean the ones here locally...I've no experience with others)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• No i gave up my wic they pissed me off tellin me dd was under weight and to bit*hy well in my town any how
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 7:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• They always ask that at 2. They are just concered that we're not raising couch potatoes. Just like they want us to make sure we're feeding our children right, they want to make sure they're balanced elsewhere. I always tell them what they want to hear on that one.
    mommalady

Answer by mommalady at 8:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Because even though this is not always the case, poverty and ignorance go hand in hand. I am not saying it is right or fair...but I am sure they see their fair share of ignorance. I have been on WIC and find it incredibly insulting that they make me read a little book on the four food groups and then take a test. Just because I did not have a lot of income at the time does not mean that I don't realize that a green bean is better than a snickers bar nutritionally speaking. I just look at it as hoops I must jump through if I want that gallon of milk.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 8:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My mom is the Wic Coordinator for Central Arkansas. If you want I can give you her email and she can explain it to you. I myself am on Wic and was recently asked those same questions but I can't remember why they do now. I know its not a big deal.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Sounds like the kind of thing that some jerk in a Gov. meeting somewhere thought was a good idea but in practice is really insulting and irrelevant. Isn't WIC a program that's just supposed to be making sure that families can feed their children?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I believe it has to do with the rise of child obesity here in America and tv watching is the first sign of lack of exercise which may lead to obesity. When they learn that a child watches too much tv each day then they will evaluate that child's weight gain while they are on WIC to see if there is any correlation. It's to aid the government with research to see if some healthier programs need to be set in place at the federal level.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2009