My 5 year old ds has the croup!! He woke up from his nap and couldnt breath! Has your child ever had croup?

They almost admitted us to the ER but b/c we live so close to the hospital they told us to just stay alert to him.

Does anyone have any other ideas to help them? Besides the normal ones like: take them outside, take them in a steamy shower, vaporizers, I know all those, any new ones would be REAL helpful right now!

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 6:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• That's about it...and meds if they gave him any.

Keep his head elevated that helps too.

It's at the worst for about 3 days. After that, it's usually a matter of him getting over a "normal" cold.

If the steam doesn't seem to help, open the freezer (or go outside depending on where you live) to breathe the cold air.

The virus is in this throat. It causes swelling and that's why they get the barking cough. (in adults, it's laryngitis) Warm liquids can soothe if he's throat hurts, but cold drinks (popcicles!!) can help with the inflammation.

Don't give any cold medicines...those will dry him out and they will make it worse!! (gave cold meds to one of mine before I knew it was croup and ended up in the ER)

My oldest had it a LOT when he was younger. He's now 5 and tends to only get sore throats with it...but I know that's what it is. My other two have it on occasion.

It's a nasty cold v
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Both of my boys are recovering from croup right now. The scary barking seal cough in my 5 month old was aweful! My pediatrician gave me a steriod pill that you crush and put into applesauce. It stopped the spasm that was causing the cough. Now they just have regular cough and runny nose. Ask your doc about it. It worked wonders for us and is perfectly safe.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Steroids simply help the inflammation in the throat go down. They don't really do anything for the cough. The cough seems to settle because the swelling is down.

Steroids do have side effects....if taken long term. They are not given with each case of croup and are not proven to work in all cases.

My oldest had steroids only twice, my middle son once and my youngest three times.

I'm sorry, but steroids of any kind are NOT "perfectly safe".
    Anonymous

• The steroid that they gave us is a catabolic steroid, made from the cortex of the adrenal gland, not synthetic testonerone, like anabolic steroids. so yeah, pretty safe...
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 7:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• They should have given him a steroid if he was seen in the ER for it, that should make it much less likely to get worse or that bad again.
    My best advice is watch him closely and don't hesitate to call or take him in if you are worried.
    I had my 4 yr old rushed to the ER by ambulance with croup, he could not breathe. We live an hour from the nearest hospital so he had to go by ambulance so that he could get oxygen etc. on the way. He was there for several hours and had a few breathing treatments before we could bring him back home.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I had to take my son to the emerg and they gave him a drink and a mask treatment.. to open up his air ways I thin k the drink was a steroid... after that he was not so bad... croup is an infection in the voice box thats why it sounds so bad
    Moma_bear

Answer by Moma_bear at 12:15 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• the neb (breathing) treatments was the best thing when my son had it. my pediatrician got me a machine to take home so i coluld give him treatments at home. not much else besides steroids and making them comfortable. good luck.
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 7:43 AM on Mar. 4, 2009