My 8-year-old has anger issues...

My 8- year-old daughter drives me nuts. She losses her temper so easily, I don''t understand why. She yells and pitches a fit. When I ask her what is wrong she doesn't answer me. HELP!

suhweet1

Asked by suhweet1 at 7:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have an 8 year old, and your daughter sounds just like mine. It is only happening at home?

I took her to get a complete psych. eval, and at the same time we began meeting with a therapist. She still has these outbursts but shes gotten better at controlling them. Is anything triggering your daughter or do they seem to come out of nowhere? In my case they came from nowhere. A simple request asking to do homework resulted in about 2 hours of screaming, kicking, hitting, punching (sometimes hitting me to the point I had black bruises)

I took short videos via my phone and showed them to the therapist, because I didnt think they believed me. They were horrified by what they saw, and she was entered into a more intensive treatment program and eventually diagnosed with childhood bipolar and slightly autistic.

Take her to your doc and rule out physical causes. My daughter had an EEG and CAT scan to rule out tumors.

Good Luck
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 7:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I want to add that the traditional time outs, etc does not work for her. My daughter has these 'meltdowns' as I call them, and you cannot 'reach' her at all. Telling her to sit in a chair for however long does not work and she gets up. I cannot do it physically anymore and like I said it does nothing.

I stay firm with her and as hard as it is, I stay consistent. Yelling and things like that wont solve anything.

Our therapist had my daughter make a 'stress box' and in it we put scraps of paper, crayons, and very soft small balls..things that wont hurt her or anyone else if she chooses to throw them. When she gets angry I get out the box and sit it in a safe place, and she'll go to it.

Best not to bother asking whats wrong, because Ill bet she does not know either.
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Thank lilmizmoore I was actually thinking about calling the school to see if they have a student counselor. Like you, her outburst are usually when I ask her to do a sample task. As far as bipolar goes her father is bipolar, I wonder if this is the case. SHe recently found out she has to spend the summers with her father but hasn't seen him in years.
    suhweet1

Answer by suhweet1 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Sounds like my 8 year old daughter. She has a fit if we tell her not to do something or to clean her room. I think that's all normal for her. She's talked to a counselor and she's just being a normal 8 year old.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 8:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My son is 8 and will be 9 in a few weeks. He is the same way. Drives me crazy. But I talk to other moms who ahve kids around the same age and they do the same thing.
    JennyMarie

Answer by JennyMarie at 12:31 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I am having a similar problem with my 6 year old daughter. out of nowhere she has started to throw these extreme tantrums that show so much anger and she is verbally and physically out of control when they happen. She has just begun to see a school councellor. and will soon start to see a child psychologist. The cuoncellor at school things she has anxiety and some OCD tendancies.....and i hope that that is all that is wrong and its not that she is bipolar.
    keeperof2

Answer by keeperof2 at 9:10 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Nice to know my dd isn't the only one doing this. She had been doing well until i got pregnant with her little brother. He is due inn 4 months and dd is having total meltdowns weekly over this. She doesn't want him, wishes she were dead, and throws and rips things. I'm aso sad about this.
    veganistic

Answer by veganistic at 1:40 AM on Nov. 24, 2012