Air travel with a 9 month old...

Tomorrow my dd and I have a flight that is 5 1/2 months old. She's almost 9 months old and is EXTREMELY active (I mean, she's almost walking). She's not too content being held in one place for very long. The flight is in the middle of the day, so having her sleep the whole time is out of the question- it will mess up her routine too bad. Any ideas, suggestions? I was thinking about buying a few new toys to keep her occupied...any suggestions on what kind of small, quiet toys to get her? Also, what should I pack in our carry on bag? I am still breastfeeding, so no bottles/formula are necessary.

Thanks!

kynziesmom

Asked by kynziesmom at 7:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use to fly with my DS all the time. I would bring little toys with me and snacks he would eat. After the plane is boarded completely look and see if you notice any open seats together. Ask the stewardest if you can move over there, that way your daughter will have a little room to play. Once the airplane is off the ground. My son loved standing in my lap looking out the window. Just a thought! Hope it helps.
    lucandpepsmom

Answer by lucandpepsmom at 8:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I flew with both my kids at 9 months old (look up active in the Dictionary and you will see their photos!) Breastfeeding really makes the trip easier, with a lot less to pack. I did what you said about buying a few new toys (quiet and small). Anything that is novel and you can pull out of the bag for entertainment!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Toys, snacks and juice were my saving grace on the plane. My daughter loves songs with hand motions, so those worked pretty well for me...I also took a finger puppet glove that kept her entertained for awhile. Take some hand and face wipes because there is no way you're going to be able to keep her in your lap the whole time (especially in the airport before boarding). Just let her roam around the terminal to keep her entertained. Also, don't check your stroller with your luggage...most airlines will let you check it at the gate so you can have it for the wait (especially important if your flight is delayed). Ask for a seat at the bulkhead when you check in...if it isn't taken, they'll give it to you and there is more foot room so you can put the baby on the ground to play. Oh, and if your daughter is anything like mine...she likes stuff that looks real. Bring an old cordless phone from home and let her push the buttons
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2009