High Risk at 5 weeks?!?!

So, I went for my first real prenatal appointment today. The doctor (suprisingly after all I've been through this week) didnt say much, other than it's too soon for much, but that I'm experiencing a high risk pregnancy! I'm not allowed to do almost anything! I cant work, I cant lift anything over 5lbs, I cant walk for more than 15min, & I'm suppose to be in bed most of the day until my next appointment in 3 weeks! Has anyone else had a pregnancy that was at high risk this early on?? & what should I do about work?? Can they fire me for not being able to go in for what could be my entire pregnancy???

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a friend who was high risk at just about that time that you are - she had to go on bed rest too.
    The egg it turned out was not implanted right and complete bed rest gave her more of a chance to continue te pregnancy. I'd do exactly what the doctor says - ask some one to call on your behalf to keep yourself calm, while you're there. At least have someone one with you to help you understand what the doctor's sayiing. Do what the doctor says but call for more info. Have everything documented to get coverage for work and insurance, everything. Was an ultrasound done? You can always get a second opinion from a high risk ob. Some times doctors are idiots and don't tell a patient what's going on for fear of worrying them and worsening them. How wrong they are!! Get that bed rest!!!
    Anonymous

• There's got to be more info to this. Did he say you had an incompetent cervix? Do you have bleeding? Do you have health problems?
    Anonymous

• I would get more info. You have a right to know why so I would ask them exactly that...why? Also you cannot be fired over being pregnant or pregnancy complications. That is considered discrimination and you could sue them if they do.
    Anonymous

• Yeah more info is needed. I can't see your OB saying you are high risk without reason. Also, no your job can't fire you but they don't have to hold the same position you had, just a job.

Anonymous

• Well what is wrong? To put you on so many restrictions there has to be a reason...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I started out being high risk because I had some health issues. Next time you go back to your doctor ask him/her why they told you were high risk.
    sweetchick82

Answer by sweetchick82 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Everytime I do anything physical I start to bleed....whether its from work or getting out of bed too fast....
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Your doctor really ought to have explained this to you. You could be high-risk due to things he noticed during your exam or because of things in your medical history that he is aware of. None of us here can be exactly sure.

For work, you need to check with the policies of the business that you work for. My former place of employment would not extend leave past 6 months and FMLA (if you are eligible for it) only covers you for three months. You should contact your supervisor or Human Resources to find out.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• yeah I had an incompetent cervix and was put on bed rest entire preg. The job I was working at didn't fire me they called it letting me go so I couldnt draw unemployment. I tried going to the labor dept. but nothing was every done so more than likely if you can't go back to work they will let you go but i wouldn't worry about that your baby is more important. Yeah as mentioned above find out way your on bed rest so early, there has got to be a reason. You may want to find some hobbies you can enjoy in bed that will help time pass because it'll drive you crazy....I totally repainted by house after baby was born b/c I got tired of looking at the same 4 walls all the time. Find some shows on tv to get into....days of our lives...baby stories or bring home baby things like that...
    pandora09

Answer by pandora09 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2009