Are there any fruits or veggies I should avoid?

I am starting my little guy on solids. Are there any fruits or veggies I should stay away from, or that may be dangerous?

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not unless you have a family history of allergies, no.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Absolutely avoid any citrus or tropical fruits. No mango or papaya or oranges. My son got a horrible rash that ate through the top few layers of his bottom and didn't fully heal for a month. That was when he was first learning to eat solids. We tried him out on papaya again the other day and it was the same for him. I don't know if it is just his system, but I sure don't want your baby to experience anything like ours did!
    By the way, baking soda in a warm bath followed by complete air drying and no creams on his bottom was the only thing that healed him.
    Good luck mama.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Avoid tropical and citrus for a while. They suggest until they are at least 12 to 18 months old and then introduce them one at a time. Also, avoid strawberries or others likely to cause an allergic reaction...again wait until they are at least 12 to 18 months old. If you are doing baby food in the jars most of what you will get will be safe. Some will have strawberries and they do have mango, etc. Just introduce one new food at a time, feed it for a couple days. If you don't notice any signs of allergy then start another food. Apples, pears, squash and sweet potatoes are always safer first foods. Less chance of an allergy.
    Anonymous

• Timelessglass - that's unfortunate about your son, but honestly, the majority of babies are absolutely fine on citris fruits from 6 months+ - my own daughter included.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I'd hold off on citrus until they're potty trained, personally. My middle son has a horrible reaction to citrus or anything processed with citrus flavoring (I gave him berry flavored gummy snacks and it did it to him, too. The only thing we can figure is that it's a cross contamination type of thing at the factory..processed in the same things as citrus flavored snacks)

Seriously, at the age of 2, I gave him one snack...ONE bite. He had two days of watery, citrus smelling diarrhea that literally BURNED the skin on his butt. It wasn't a rash, it was burns. It took a week for those burns to heal after the diarrhea stopped.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2009