Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mother in law watches my 1yr old while I work.

But I'm considering changing because they have a pool with no cover in their backyard. I checked the price and they are not cheap. Would you look for a new babysitters too?


Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • She's good but they have had small scares before and the cover is $1300 to $2500.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

  • Nah...if that's all you see wrong, then just buy them a pool cover if they are so cheap :)

    Answer by tandknix at 7:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

  • Yep! I thought it was a law to have your pool gated off? Maybe that's just where I live...

    If I there's a potential danger for my kids' lives, I'd switch. Don't chance it!

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

  • I live on a creek that turns into a wide, deep river in the wintertime. Our doors all have sliding locks that go up into the tops of the door jam and keep our son from opening the door. But, if someone goes out, it's unlocked. We have to make sure someone is with him at all times. It's a lot of responsibility living with children near water. If you don't think grandma is always on the ball, buy the cover for them as a gift.

    Answer by timelessglass at 7:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

  • I would talk to her about it, if thats the only reason and everything else is good then why change? I think it's a valid concern...
    Why pay for childcare from a stranger and risk something else happening... I would have been so happy if my MIL of my own Mom could have been able to keep my children. Since they couldn't my hubby and I decided it would be best for me to be a SAHM... Have been for 12 yrs and love it.

    Answer by 4x4mum at 7:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

  • Expensive. Maybe go in halves for it.

    Answer by timelessglass at 7:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

  • Let's say you get the most expensive one... $2500.

    If someone else watches your child, you may have to pay them or pay them more. How much? How many months before you could have just bought that cover instead, leaving your child in the same care he's always known?

    And also consider, if you buy the cover, will your MIL use it? If you decide to buy it, make sure they are willing to use it.

    Answer by kaycee14 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

Next question in Toddlers (1-2)
need advice...

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
boy or girl?