What would cause my 2 year old daughter's temperature to go up to 100.5 down to 98.2 then back up again to 100.7. She has never ran a temperature higher than 99.

momof2girls2407

Asked by momof2girls2407 at 7:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Could be teething still.
    Could be a virus or other infection.
    Could be normal daily variation. Very few people run a 98.6 temp as "normal" and no one has the same temp all day long.

Here are the rules for fevers in children (not infants) and adults:
    If it's under 102, do nothing. Meds can be given for pain and discomfort but not just to lower the fever. The fever is helping her get well. Taking the fever away makes it harder to get well and keeps her sicker longer.
    If it's over 102, give motrin, tylenol, cool drinks, cool baths, etc to bring it back under 102.
    If it's goes over 102 for 3 days in a row - even if it keeps coming back down - go to the doctor.
    If it goes over 104, go to the doctor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• She probably has a virus that her body is trying to fight off. Let the fever run. If it gets higher than 101 and she's uncomfortable, give a little tylenol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i probably should have added that the temperature of 99 was when she was teething....
    momof2girls2407

Answer by momof2girls2407 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I agree with the first answer. It's the bodies way of killing off Bacteria and viruses. Let the temp run it's course. I never give my kiddos meds even if the temp is above 101 unless they are uncomfortable.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Are you taking it externally or internally? That makes a difference. If it's 99 degrees that's only 0.4 degrees higher than "normal" which can sometimes be higher or lower depending on the person. Your body temp can also change during activity. I definately wouldn't give meds for a low-grade fever though.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i am taking it using the braun thermoscan thermometer only because she will sit still long enough for me to do... her normal temperature runs around 98.5-98.7. She was sitting still watching tv while i was cooking dinner and came up to me and said she wanted to lay down.. and has been laying ever since except the 20 minutes she was up sitting on the couch.
    momof2girls2407

Answer by momof2girls2407 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2009