Does Anyone Get Menstrual Migraines?

I have been getting these since I had my youngest daughter (who is 8). It begins as both my eyes burning severely as if Im very tired, and over a few hours I get a horrendous pain across my forehead, and it then locates over my right temple area. The pain is the worst ever, and it 'moves' to the top of my head and behind my right eye. The pain gets so bad that my eye will turn red and get very watery. It also radiates to my throat

I get this about day 16 into my cycle every month, and lasts 14-72 hours. I get nauseous and throw up sometimes and I get double vision.

I had an MRI of my brain to be sure nothing else was happening, and I was eventually diagnosed with menstrual migraines. None of the migraine medications help, but Tylenol 4 does at least temporarily so I can get some sleep.

Im in such misery during these headaches, and it drives me nuts.

Does anyone else get these and know of any other treatments that have work

lilmizmoore1127

Asked by lilmizmoore1127 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Health

• I don't think I have menstral migranes but i do have frequent migranes that get really bad...I get the burning, pounding sensation and i get dizzy and i cant focus on anything. my doc prescribed me Sumatriptan 25mg which works wonders on my migranes...however if you don't have a insurance that wont cover it, it is very expensive...it is 258.32 for 10 pills! hope this helps or you find some relief!
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I get all kinds of migraines and yes the pms ones are great! NOT For some people, being on the pill helps but not for me. I am on a good migraine preventative. It is cardizem which is a bloodpressure medication that is sometimes used for migraines. My experience is that a preventative works for about a year and then I need a new one. However I have been on this one a little over a year and I still get migraines but they are much less severe. There are also meds you take as soon as you are getting a migraine. Zomag, worked well for me. It dissolves on your tongue so you can keep it in your purse.

When you have kids it is terrible to have migraines. Everything my daughter does drives me nuts when I have a migraine. Often my hubby takes her out of the house so I get a break. Also sleep helps. Especially if you take something and then lay down.

Another thing is hot or cold compresses on the back of your neck.
    stassy77

Answer by stassy77 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Sometimes a bath helps. My aunt told me that one migraine specialist said that if you really need relief you take a shower make it hot then cold. As hot as you can and as cold. two tbsp apple cider vinegar mixed with two tbsp of baking soda mixed with a cup of water tastes horrible but has worked for me at times.
    For the menstrual migraines coffee works.
    Hope something works.
    stassy77

Answer by stassy77 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I don't get them ever period only sometimes. I usually take a dose of excedrin and lay in a completely dark room for about 12hours.
    taratt79

Answer by taratt79 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Thanks for all the advice...I really appreciate it!
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 8:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2009