What can I do?? I'm really stressed out!

My 7 month old son WON'T take a bottle. We had this problem a few months ago but then I was able to get him to start taking it. I thought this time it was because of the formula, but he won't take breast milk either. He will totally FREAK OUT if I bring the bottle anywhere near him. Even in his sleep he won't drink from the bottle but he'll nurse directly from my boob. Am am staying home with him right now but I want to get OUT sometimes. This Friday I am having a 30th Birthday party for my husband. I was planning on having my son sleep at my MIL's house but I don't know if he'll give her a hard time because he won't take the bottle! I have tired sippy cups, I've used every bottle or nipple imaginable. I really want to be able to enjoy this party and I want to be able to leave my son with other people. What can I do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YOU are the problem! **grin**

Let someone ELSE give the bottle while you're gone from the house. Breastfed babies frequently refuse bottles from mom.

Hand baby over to a caregiver and exit, stage left. Baby will be FINE...even if he doesn't eat at all. You'd turn cartwheels if he slept eight hours, and he certainly wouldn't eat during that time! So it's no problem for him to not eat while you're out and about. It's called reverse cycling and is normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:21 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• im in the same boat. my first son took the bottle just fine, but now i have a 3 month old dd and she will not take it to save her life (when im in the room) According to her dad, she has no problem when im gone. Have you had anyone else try it while you were out of the room or gone somewhere? some babies are just stubborn. it may take a while, but they wont let themselves starve. Hope your MIL id strong enough to listen to him cry for a while.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like it would be pretty stressful for your baby to be separated from you overnight. Some will say leave him with your MIL, he'll cry but he won't starve. Do you really want to put your baby through that. It IS really hard to have a baby who won't take a bottle, but right now staying close to your baby needs to be your top priority. You can still go out and have some fun, but for shorter periods of time. It won't be long until he is older and able to be away from you for longer periods. Hang in there!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• try a sippy cup, try a sippy with a straw. Worked for my little lady. She was the worst!
    chucks1girl

Answer by chucks1girl at 8:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I've tried having others give him the bottle and he still won't take it. I don't want my mother in law to have to listen to him scream. I want him to be happy with her for a few hours. He'll take it off of the spoon a little bit and he is eating solids now so he won't starve I know that. I just want him to be happy with other people.
    Anonymous

• I tried a sippy cup too!! He's just so stubborn. I swear was a mule in a former life!
    Anonymous

• At seven months old I would say that he won't let himself starve. Is he happy with MIL otherwise? Does he cry when he is with her? You may find that in her care he takes the bottle fine. I would say try it you can always come home if you are not comfortable with how thing are going after you leave him. Leave him with her hand call to check on him in about 30 min. Remember when you first leave he will most likely cry but in my experience they stop almost as soon as you are out of site. It's like this special little show they put on for mom to make her feel as guilty as possible for having a life outside of mommyhood. lol like you said you have to get out some. If you don't you'll go stir crazy. Good luck I hope it works out!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Thanks But_Mommie for trying to keep me from feeling like the worst momma in the world for wanting to go to a party! I love my son, and I hate being away from him but I need to blow of some steam once in a while!! I just want him to be happy while I'm gone...
    Anonymous

• I will go the unpopular route, sorry in advance for my opinion. Baby is 7 months. It can be too much to ask of some babies to allow mom to have a normal social life. Your baby is still a baby and with that comes some immense responsibilities. You are an amazing mom for giving baby the best (breastmilk), unfortunately with that comes a large sense of selflessness. We have to, for at least the first year of life, be very close to baby to nourish them. It can be taxing at times, it can be bothersome at times, it can be unfair at times but fortunately this is not forever and the things you have to put aside do not even compare to the positives that you are giving and instilling in baby forever with your selflessness. I understand your, almost, need to be at that party (you do so deserve it) BUT baby deserves his nourishment more. Can MIL watch him and then you can go and feed him and return to the party, repeat when needed?

Anonymous

• My daughter won't take the bottle for me but will for my husband and for a sitter.

Good luck!!
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 9:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2009