my son flaps when he is upset

does that mean he has the potential to be mildly autistic? what are other signs and things to watch out for around the age of 1 and a half?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Right now I'd keep an eye on his devlopment witihout gettting upset - my child, I was told, when they were 24 months old was very immature and acted like an 18 month old. WELL DUHHHH terrible twos ya know. Maybe just keep a notebook to see what makes baby flap, anything specific. Does he have an older sibling or relative who loves airplanes. He's still a baby. Just track him. I don't think a dr. could get very much at his age on flalpping alone at this young young age. Just observe as you are.
    Anonymous

• lack of interest/communication in others, lack of eye contact, and showing emotion. Lining up toys, interested in only 1 specific toy for long periods of time...i think all of those are symptoms but i also think (i dont know for sure) it may be too early to diagnose
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I know it is supposed to be a 'red flag' if your child engages in this behaviour, but quite honestly a LOT of children flap their hands when they are upset and are not autistic. My four year old still flaps her hands when she is upset sometimes- when I watch her through the soundproof glass at swimming lessons it's how I can tell she is nervous at doing something new! I would keep an eye on speech development and how your ds relates to others, but I would not worry too much about this. I can remember stressing over autism when my ds was a toddler because he liked to line things up and he liked to watch fans/wheels go round and those are supposed to be warning signs, but he is now almost seven and not autistic. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I still flap my hands when excited or upset. Lots of perfectly normal people do. And lots of autistic kids don't.

Keep an eye on him but I wouldn't worry about it. Here's a helpful website for spotting potential problems:
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/actearly/
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• They would not even consider looking into the idea that my friend son was autistic until he was 3. At 3 he was tested and is in fact autistic among other things. The point is do what everyone has suggested but just know that many things a perfectly normal at 1 and 2. Keep in touch with the doctors but they most likely will not move forward with any diagnosis until he is a little older.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009