swollen

ok so i had a c-section on the 28th
and i got home yesterday
well iv had my legs up for a while
then i had to take my little girl to the doc for the newborn thing
i came home and my feet were swollen like bad
i put them on the floor and my toes dont touch the ground
i can barley walk and or bend my toes
my nurse yesterday said it gets worse before it get better
and to drink lots of water
well i have been and nothing is happing
is this swelling is normal??????????

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had the EXACT same swelling after my son was born (via c-section). It was BAD. Just like you described. I think it took roughly 2 weeks or so for it to go away, but it SUCKED. You are actually the first person I've heard mention this, so thank goodness I wasn't the only one! LOL. My guess, is that the surgery of the c-section is traumatizing to your body, and that's why the legs swell. Much like if you have surgery somewhere else, it will swell before it gets better. Keep drinking water and elevating them, it will get better I promise.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i saw a pic of your little girl and she is soooo cute!! congrats
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I had HORRIBLE swelling after my csection. I didn't swell at all during the pregnancy, then suddenly I'm home with the baby and my legs were huge! You couldn't even see where my knee caps or ankles were! It was horrible.

However, it does go away ... give yourself about 7-10 days AT HOME and see how it goes. It takes a little bit of time before everything is absorbed into your system and the swelling goes down. I remember saying to my husband one day "LOOK! You can see my ankles!!" ... that was a good day, haha :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Totally normal, drink drink drink to flush your system. I know at first it may seem worse but walking helps work it out of your body too. As long as the swelling seems some better in the morning I would not worry. Keep your feet up above your heart for awhile too. Lay on the floor and put your feet up on the couch. It will go away I promise...it seemed like forever for me and then my skin on my feet was stretched out too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2009