how can i get my 14yr. old aspie to eat in public...and with the family...

my daughter will not eat in any public place and she very rarely will eat with the family...

Debbie9191

Asked by Debbie9191 at 9:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i went through that. i think its a self esteem issue. i dont really know how to fix it- i grew out of mine. maybe she will too. good luck
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

•  not a healthy habit by any means, but if you force the topic, she'll buck it that much more. i went through the same thing... it was for me, a control issue. so look at it as a battle of wills, if you try to force her to do so, and she refuses even further, then she has the upper ahnd. let it slide unless you see obvious problems arising, like purging.
     if she's going to the bathroom immediately following meals, or makes and excuse to leave and go to the bathroom... i would linger in the vacinity and listen to make sure she's not... 
     try planning meals with her, including ehr in choices... let her have a little control over what she puts in her body... if its a weight issue, then you could involve a nutritionalist to help and use that as a tool... just a thoughht...
      luck to you 

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• wow, look at all my pytos! lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I even get shy eating in front of people, I wished I had a answer they are so fear ful of others it is hard to try to get them to be more social , maybe make it a fun night for dinner, or tell her you want family night together to share thought's , or going out to eat maybe tell her you what girl day with the two of you , without her knowing what you are doing . that might work good luck Deb , let me know how it goes, just keep on trying .!!!
    MommyJanice44

Answer by MommyJanice44 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Does the place where she was diagnosed with Asperger's have references for wrap-around services? If you can find these services they will help your teen with whatever issues you are having. Around here they come to the home, school, church... anywhere your child is exhibiting problems. Good luck :-)
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 9:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I had phobias and hated eating in public. I hated being around strangers. I wouldn't force her but I'd invite her so she has a choice and won't feel unwanted.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:37 AM on Mar. 4, 2009