Suddenly clingy 5 year old.

I'm confused. Most days my older daughter & I co-exist just fine. But recently I've begun going to the gym twice a week for only about 2 hours and now shortly before I leave she begins crying and repeating "I want you, I want you". She never seemed to mind before if I went out for a while. Now, it's a whole lot of drama and she continues on like that for about 10 or 15 after I leave too and it's driving my husband crazy as well. And within the past few days she has begun crying at bed time too stating that she doesn't like when her room is dark (I've begun leaving on a battery operated candle) and that she wants me to stay with her. I do for about 20 minutes and then when I start to walk out she starts to wail.
What is going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son was the same way. We both worked thru it. He is much better now. It used to drive my husband crazy. Like dealing with one cranky kid wasn't enough. Just take baby steps. She will get over it. I would strat by laying down with her a little earlier than usual and make it feel fun and safe, but let her know that you are going to leave her roo in a little while because she is a big girl, but you will be close by. it will take alittle time but she will be ok. Good Luck.
    Putty921

Answer by Putty921 at 6:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2009