Can you teach a baby to crawl?

My DD is 8mos and she really wants to be mobile. She doesn't seem to know how to move forward. She can push backwards or roll to her destination, but she can't crawl forward. Is there anything I can do to help her along?

Farrahann

Asked by Farrahann at 9:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put something in front of them that they like and get beside them and act like you are going for it too. It makes them want it more! I kept putting my kids legs forward and showed them how. It might have helped a little just to show them how and letting them watch you go after the object too. Don't try to rush it too fast. They grow up too fast as it is. You will be able to watch the process and take it all in and soon, she will be off and running. They get into EVERYTHING!! Soon you will be posting asking what to do to keep them out of your nice do dads! LOL My son broke all of mine. My oldest never bothered them, so it was different with him.
    She will catch on soon and you won't be able to keep up with her!
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 10:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• put her on her tummy and put something infront of her or try putting her in the crawling position otherwise just wait she will do it when she's ready
    Anonymous

• my dad took one of those laser light pointers, pointed it on the ground and got my son to notice it, and then moved it just out of reach. my son eventually learned that if he wanted that little red thing then he would have to go get it. good luck and i hope this helps
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• From what my pediatrician told me, crawling isn't considered a milestone because all babies do it differently, and some don't so it at all. I'm not sure it can be taught exactly...good question.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I've been using the coveted remote as bait, she really wants it, she kinda tries to swim ferociously towards it.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Don't worry, crawling is not a milestone. Your child may skip it and go straight to walking. As long as she is rolling to get things she wants, she is mobile. If you are dead set on her crawling, you can put her on all fours and support her tummy with a towel/sheet to take some of her weight and make it easier for her to crawl. Also just keep practicing with her keeping her weight through her arms and legs to play (she will be more likely to crawl if she is more comfortable bearing weight through her arms/legs together).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My 10 month old has sort of done things backwards: she was able to stand holding onto my hands or the couch at 6 months, learned to scoot/commando crawl around 8 months, and learned how to roll over about a month ago! I am so confused! LOL My little one just seemed to decide one day that she was tired of holding still and not reaching what she wanted--then BAM! Just like that she sort of got it. I bet your little one will do the same thing.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 3:33 AM on Mar. 4, 2009