I am thinking about furthering my education... Do you think a future employer when reviewing one's credentials would consider hiring a person who went to a local college/university over someone who studied online?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Personally, I think it looks BETTER that you did classes online. I started my degree online, while raising my son. From experience it takes a LOT of dedication, organization and commitment to be able to pull it off. A future employer will look at that and be impressed. I went on a lot of job interviews where the employers were floored that I was able to do online courses AND get almost a 4.0 doing so. It's not as easy as it sounds.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• When you write up your resume be sure to emphasize the strength of mind and spirit while rasing a family it took to take classes on iine. My daughter is doing that and it's way harder to dig in and study than go to class and sleep in class like some students do. TheDiva320 is right, I agree with her.
    Anonymous

• I'm more impressed with how well a person did in the classes than where they took them.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• May I ask which online schools? Also, how long did it take you to complete your studies & did you find the professors helpful? Thank you ladies for your help in advance.
    Anonymous

• I recently read but can't remember where that colleges can put on transcripts that courses are on line or on campus because some places think that on line done at home any where are easier than on campus; meaning, no one but the student really knows if a test on iine is done with or with notes when a prof says no notes. So I think emphasizing the strengths learned from pacing one's self in studying on line could help in job hunting as most employers want prospectives to say what that person can bring to the company - what they've learned from previous college, jobs.
    Anonymous

• 841pm anony: just about every single college offers on line courses - some for degrees. I know some colleges that are on line are Pheonix University (not sure of spelling but they're doing great commercials plus I think Strayer University is online but not positive. Recently though, I know of a public school district whose several board and school administrators earned on line degrees from bogus univers. and colleges. So be sure to check a college's authenticity for on line degrees with the state's department of education. Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• I am currently taken classes online...I have a week and a half left to graduation. It does take alot of work to keep up but if you ahve a great GPA i don't see why it would matter
    suhweet1

Answer by suhweet1 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I think it might depend on the field of study and the employer of course. Online universities are becoming much more acceptable - like the University of Phoenix and things like that. Lots of people use online classes to further their employment options, whether in their current line of work or to change career paths.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2009