18 month old has dry hair/flaky scalp

My 18-month old daughter seems to have real different hair. The top and sides are soft and fine and the back seems to be very dry and coarse- it knots up very easily too. I've also noticed that she has dry scalp too. We live in Colorado so I don't know if the dry air has anything to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of shampoo/conditioner I should use on her hair? Right now I'm using the Suave baby shampoo/conditioner and it's not working very well at all.

haileysmom805

Asked by haileysmom805 at 9:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try massaging her scalp with baby oil, leave in for 15 minutes, then shampoo.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Hey E try something that is UNSCENTED and try some JoJoba oil on it too... You can find it at the nature stores... I wouldn't use Baby oil cause it dosen't soak in so you are just "wasting" it... My mom tried the Baby oil with me and it just made my hair greasy. Hope this helps. Our DR. told us for Bug's Cradle Cap to brush it well with baby lotion in it and it was greasy too but I used the Jojoba oil and it seemed to work. Love ya
    cannonsmama

Answer by cannonsmama at 9:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Hey Erica! :) Aubrey's hair is kind of like that and Sophie's used to be too until it got thicker. For her I think it's because she lays on her back at night and turns her head a lot, and it just gets kind of knotted and dry. We use the kids Loreal shampoo/conditioner...they have one for dry hair. And then I put the kids leave in conditioner on that spot too...it seems to help quite a bit! Once it gets warmer and she gets more of her hair in it will probably clear up more too!
    Happy_mom_of3

Answer by Happy_mom_of3 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2009