First period after having my IUD removed!

I just got my IUD removed last week and two days later I started my period. I thought it would be like my periods before first day a little on the heavy side and down hill from that. But this one has been soooo heavy from day one and cramping like I have never had! Is this normal? Has anyone else had similar situations? Is it almost over? I should have keep it in to avoid all this pain and mess!!

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 9:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Health

• Yes. That may be normal. Everyone reacts differently. I was very similar but I had to have my IUD taken out (it was implanting in my uterus). I started bleeding about a day or two after it was taken out. My cramping was awful, it was worse than ever. You may also bleed a little longer than a normal period, and heavier too. Mine lasted for almost 2 weeks after my IUD was taken out. If the color changes to dark brown or darker or the cramps get really bad or you start bleeding heavier, call your doctor and get checked out. Sorry you are going through this but I went through the same thing. If you get the least bit concerned (especially if it lasts longer than a normal period) call your doctor.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• The same thing happened to me. It got to the point I was bleeding more than I had after child birth. I called the doctor. THey told me that the removal of the IUD can cause an "unstable" uterus so it just keeps shedding it's lining. They put me on hormones for 10 days and I was good as new after even just the first dose. SO I say- call the doctor and ask them. My doctor said it isn't all that uncommon that women need hormones for a few days after! Good Luck!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2009