Black Cohosh?

I'm at witts end. bash all you dang want...
what does black cohosh do ? did you use it? what are the risks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it causes a miscarriage right?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i heard it induces labour
    Anonymous

• I hear it causes miscarriages -
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 10:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i meant in full terms...
    im full term plus late.
    and yes i can't take this : let nature take its course.. to hell with it , i've been in labour long enough, i want DONE NOW.
    Anonymous

• It CAN induce labor HOWEVER it can ALSO CAUSE exsesive bleeding during labor and delivery.
    The same goes for blue cohosh.

I understand your ready to get that baby out but may I suggest some safer natural options.

-Raspberry Leaf Tea (ripens the cervix and causes contractions -drink 8 cups or as much as you can without forcing yourself if your term. MAKE SURE IT HAS THE LEAVES IN IT...RED RASPBERRY LEAVES)
    - Cummin Tea
    - Have sex and let the seamen sit on your cervix (by staying laid in bed) for 20-30 minutes or longer if you can handle it
    -Take a walk after you have sex and then have sex again if your not to tired or in labor
    -Labor inducing acupture (you can find the information and pressure point pics online)
    -A bumpy car ride (sounds dumb but works if your body is ready)
    -Squat for short periods of time
    -Nipple Stimulation (should be supervised by a midwife when doing this)
    Anonymous

• -Visualization (visualize your uterus contracting, and your cervix opening. THIS ACTUALLY DOES WORK if you really put your mind to it)
    -Relaxation Techniques (You sound really stressed out and upset and just ready to be done so this could really help. You could be to tense for your body to do it's job so just try it)

Also I know you don't want to hear this but there IS a REASON that your baby isn't here yet. Just being term or even "over due" (42 weeks is true over due) doesn't mean your baby is ready. Take a warm bath, relax and you just might find yourself in labor.

GL Sweetie!!
    Anonymous

• I forgot to add that to make the cummin tea you:

Add 1 cummin seed to 1 cup of boiling water, allow it to steep for 5 minutes, then drink. No more than 1 cup an hour per day.

Midwives in Latino cultures use this for over due women to induce them without medical intervention. Traditionaly a cube of raw potatoe is added to it to absorb the bitterness but you can also add sugar or honey if you like.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the PP on some of the other natural methods.

There are some studies out showing that Blue Cohosh is related with infant heart attack as well as hemmorage. Black Cohosh is also related to hemmorage and possibly could cause the same things as Black Cohosh.

Wait until your babe and body are ready. You'll be glad you did.
    Anonymous

• I bought the blue cohosh and took it for a day. Then I heard how it could be risky and stopped. Still no labor.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My midwife told me try sex,walking, or red Raspberry leaf tea.
    Last, but not least if u really can't wait...Castor oil.
    GL
    Aneq

Answer by Aneq at 7:47 AM on Mar. 4, 2009