Im a little concerned, daughter mimics everything...

My daughter who just turned 4 seems to mumble alot while she watches tv, like shes trying to repeat every word that she hears, im not sure if this is normal behavior, also when i read her a book, she repeats all the words that im reading, i hope nothing is wrong with her, but im wondering if this is normal.

BigSurprise2

Asked by BigSurprise2 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like she's just trying to learn and repeat back. Something to keep in mind is that thinking quietly takes time for kids to learn how to do - in the meantime, they do a LOT of thinking out loud until they internalize it all. And reading, to kids, is an out loud process because that's what they associate reading with - speaking out loud while reading. It may be that she's trying to learn how to read by repeating what you say, and not yet internalizing it. Has she learned how to read or have you started teaching her? If not, you may want to think about it since it may be that she's trying to learn. If you're concerned, you can check with your pediatrician, but I don't think at this age it's anything to worry about.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:07 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Witness an amazing ability of the human mind!

Yup, another stage. Maybe you can find ways like in song or poetry for her to build on this inborn skill? My youngest {3 years} has obsessively taken up phonetic reading after seeing leapfrog's letter factory cartoon and diligently sets about freaking me out mentioning ad nauseum random things she's sounded out!
    Enjoy it while it lasts, though weird as it may feel at times.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 4:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I didn't know until last night that my three yo was doing the same thing. I've always heard him mumbling, especially when he watches TV, or when we are at the supper table and everyone is talking...but last night I was reading to him and his twin brother at bedtime, and all I heard was him mumbling. I stopped myself just short of saying, "SHHHH!" When I realized he was copying everything I said. And he really seemed quite pleased with himself over the big words he was using. My husband and I also started to notice his language was getting A LOT better. (Just a few months ago, we could barely understand a single word he said.) I think it must be a stage they go through that helps them understand and use language better.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 8:24 AM on Mar. 5, 2009