How to get picky eaters to eat?

i am the step mom of 2 4yr old boys. Lately we've been having problems with him not wanting to eat what he used to like...and also he takes a long time to eat it. It concerns us because we are unsure that he is getting what he needs. I have been buying the ped-sure for children but i was just wondering if anyone has an idea of why this is or how we can get him to eat more?

tber22

Asked by tber22 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a 4 yr old boy whois under weight because he is so picky! I give him flinestone vitamens and tell him about what is healthy to eat and what is junk...If he wants junk he has to eat 1 healthy thing first. I can get him to eat if I deny him a cartoon or time with his "v-smile" games. Bribery works and so does letting them make their own sandwiches.
    I also found that giving him milk in 3 ounce dixie cups throughout the day gets him to drink more milk versus a bigger cup and in the morning he has to eat a breakfast food before he can have juice. needless to say he always has a breakfast and then he will go allday without food till dad comes home and since dad doesn't know anything he gives his son junk food. So our son holds out till he can get junk from dad.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I have a 17 year old who to this day is still a picky eater. It started when he was about 2 years old. I did everything the dr's said to do- offer them the food, make them eat it, don't offer different food than the rest of the family, he'll eventually get hungry and eat- blah, blah, blah.
    It did NOT work. I wished I had an answer for you but I have the same problem. I tell him all the time, he'll never find a wife who's going to cook the crap he does eat....lol
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I cut out any processed foods, most sugar {except fruit}, and spend some serious active time to kick her metabolism into gear, usually helps with the hunger strike.
    the less she wants to eat or fixates on certain unhealthy foods, the more I offer basics like peanut butter/apple, tuna sandwich, or other simple stuff only.
    eh, cooking and food cost something, i make it clear i don't have to do that.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 4:14 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Put colorful, healthy foods on his plate. Don't make a big deal about how much he eats. Don't have junk foods available for him.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 2:38 AM on Mar. 6, 2009