normal 2 year olds?

What kind of things does your 2 year old know how to do? Do they use forks and spoons correctly, eat cereal with milk, drink out of a normal glass, started potty training yet? Do they anwser question when you ask them....etc.

My FIL doesnt think my son is taught well enough....so I was just wondering what other 2 year olds do and how they act, etc? Thanks for you help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 2 and she can eat with a fork a little trouble with the spoon but she can pull it off if she really trys. She also speaks very well. you can understand majority of what she says she still has a couple words that dont come out right. She is able to speak full sentences dont get me wrong not a whole lot of them but a few. My daughter is able to drink out of a normal glass but i perfer her to use a sippy only cause she gets carried away and ends up spilling. Shes been potty training for like 3 months doing good we got a one time #1 and a two times for #2. She absouletly loves ceral with milk in a bowl. she actually asks for milk when you give her ceral. You tell you FIL that all children are different and he or she will do things when they are ready you cant force a child or they well resist. your baby is fine what ever way he/she is.
    sweetkrissy

Answer by sweetkrissy at 9:14 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• kids can vary so much! I know my one niece Allison is two and she barely talks at all, you can hardly understand anythng she says, she does use a fork, but not a spoon. My other niece Kayla is 18 months and she talks in full sentences, uses all of her silverware, knows all of her colors and shapes and can count to 5. Every kid varies when it comes to how quickly they learn
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• my daughter turned 2 last Dec. she can use a fork, but still has troubles with spoons but she is getting better. she does eat cereal with milk, but usually she prefers the dry stuff with a sippy cup of milk so that she is mobile and it does not get soggy. she has been potty trainiing for about a month and is doing great!!! She has been trying since about 18 months but had to wait till her body was ready. She talks up a storm, and most of it you can understand. She will answer any question that I ask her which i love. her favorite friend is our 15 week old beagle since they are about the same age at this point. She is into everything and has the attention span of a humming bird. I could go on and on.

How about your little guy?
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 10:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• my son uses a fork but a little difficulty with spoon. I haven't tried to give him cereal w/ milk yet. He sometimes usees a normal cup...but not very good with it.I have treid him on the potty but he will not do anything! lol. As for when I ask him questions....he acts like he doesn't understand...like he doesn't know im asking him a question.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 11:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Every child is different, and unless your child is VERY behind, I doubt you have anything to worry about. My daughter is 2 and uses a fork and spoon properly, she dresses herself and makes sure it matches, she ONLY drinks out of a regular glass, eats her cereal with milk, pours her own glass of milk if she's being impatient, and she can do tons of other things. Her fall backs? Potty training doesn't interest her at all, and her speech isn't perfect. She was evaluated 7 weeks ago and it was determined that she has a 40% speech delay, but in the last three weeks, her speech has improved SO much. (Along with her attitude problem.) And she's not recieving speech therapy because the ONE therapist they had for my county, quit her job, and they haven't found another yet.

So like I said, all kids are different. Don't listen to what others say. If you're worried, have your child evaluated. Otherwise, just enjoy being a parent.
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yes and no.
    As the first poster said, kids vary so much. Plus the difference between 24 months and 35 months is huge.
    My daughter CAN use a fork and spoon, she just doesn't want to.
    She can eat cereal with milk - and then needs a clean shirt.
    She can drink from an open cup but I'm not about to give her a glass one or anything except water.
    She is potty training and doing well but many don't.

Here's a helpful site:
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/actearly/milestones_3years.html

Yes, you want the list for "3 years". That's "the child has completed three years of life - which means they just turned 3. This list lets you see what your child should be doing by the time he turns 36 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Like the OP said, kids vary sooo much. My son is 26 months and he can eat with a fork and spoon (still pretty messy, though), drink from a regular cup, clean up his own toys when asked, potty trains during the day (because he wets the bed and I'm sick of washing his sheets.. so diapers at night), dumps out his own potty from his own potty chair, speaks in 2-5 word sentences (mostly uses nouns and a few verbs, but does not use and,or,but, etc.), can tell me his, mine, and his daddy's first, middle, and last names :). But he's not real great with the physical things like running, jumping, so on.
    On the other hand, his cousin, who is 2 1/2 months older than him points and grunts at things, only says a few words, does not put sentences together, doesn't really know who the heck "mama" is... but can run, jump, spin, and so on better than a 5 year old lol.
    Hope this helped!
    mommabeth15

Answer by mommabeth15 at 11:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• geez now that I'm reading my answer it kinda makes it look like I'm putting my sister's son down quite a bit. I did NOT mean it like that. I simply meant that kids even a few months apart, even one older than the other, can be completely different developmentally. My nephew is SO advanced physically it isn't funny... I swear if there were a toddler olympics he'd be great. But as far as talking and things like that, it's just taking him a bit. And vice versa with my son. Anyway, just wanted to clarify!
    mommabeth15

Answer by mommabeth15 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Dd is 2 1/2 can sing songs and has been potty trained since she was 18 mons old and can use forks spoons and drink from a cup and can count to 5 in spanish and can count in english and will anwser questions when asked.
    Just remember all kids learn at their own pace just cause one kid learns fast and the other doesnt is fine nothings wrong with the child just has his or her own pace.
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 12:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• DS is 27 months this week. He's some words, a few sentences, can follow directions- knows over & under, behind & infront of, working on beside(thou he already has selective hearing, lol), sets the table, feeds his cat, uses fork & spoon, he's actually better with a spoon than a fork, drinks from a regular cup unless its before naptime/bedtime or we're in the car, he doesn't eat cereal with milk, he doesn't like it that way so he eats dry cereal, he's starting to figure out colors, and animals, we've been potty training for 4 months, he's getting it, answers simple questions, runs, jumps, climbs, hangs on gymnastics rings, spins in circles, can follow dances like the ones in Blue's Clues, according to his pedi, he's doing well, we're getting there. He doesn't talk quite as much as I would like, and a little too well on the physical side of it. He's starting to dress himself too. Sorry for the novel, lol.
    britngavin

Answer by britngavin at 4:08 AM on Mar. 4, 2009