Thumb sucker

How do I stop my 3.5 year old from sucking her thumb?

suhweet1

Asked by suhweet1 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have tried everything with my daughter and nothing has worked yet. The dentist told me about this appliance that they have that doesn't allow them to suck their thumb, as soon as my dental insurance kicks in I am going to get it for my daughter.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• sorry mama, in truth you cant. It has to be her choice. I was a thumb sucker and no matter what my parents did I refused to stop. It was attached to my body and so too hard to resist. I did stop once when I was 5 or so but started back up when my parents started seperating. I finally stopped for good when I was 8.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 10:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I have heard of the appliance thingy but the dentist also told me they still have to be ready to quit before that will work.
    suhweet1

Answer by suhweet1 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• you dont! when she is done with it, she will put it down and if others dont lik it , well then tell them not to look! she is doing this for HEr comfort, i mean come on, what do you do? cut off her thumb? she will but it down when she is ready, as long as she isnt causing "harm" to her thumb then who cares leave that baby alone and let her be a child thumb an all@!!!
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My daughter is almost 5 and still sucks her thumb. We tried to get her to stop and finally gave up, it's not worth the arguements or making her feel bad about it. We figure she'll stop when she is ready.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2009