Does your child get the recommended 1 hour a day of physical activity?

It's recommended that all children 12 months and older get 1 hour a day of physical activity. More specifically it is recommended that they get the 1 hour of physical activity outdoors, weather permitting.

I just ask this to make awareness for those who don't know the recommendations and so that as mom's we can share ideas on fun physical activities that kids can get involved in or better yet the WHOLE FAMILY!!

In a world of obesity this is more important that many realize.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Most days he does. He goes to school 3 days out of the week and i know they do lots of physical activity in class. And on good days i take him to the park. On rainy days he runs all over the house. lol. DS is 3yo.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• LOL - ONLY an HOUR? That's the easy part. Getting him to stop, therein lies the challenge. An hour is just enough time to warm-up for him.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yes, my toddler gets the hour and over time outside playing around. We also do no television and creative activities. I plan on having an active and healthy child who is not addicted to the television, video games, and loves to be outdoors. Or at least I will try. It could back fire.

Anonymous

• Yes, he gets on my elliptical off and on all day if he's not running around outside, or riding his bike..
    Anonymous

• Yeah I would say the dogs walk is an hour. We have an Am Staff and it is recommended by many vets to exercise them by walking at least a mile a day. Our dog is rather nosy so our walks are generally slower and I take my daughter along because people started to call me "the crazy lady who talks to her pit bull"
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 11:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My son excercises 24 hours a day!!! He goes NONSTOP! But yes he's in several noncompetitive sports classes and loves them. He is 4. Now do I get an hour a day......... thats another question lol.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 11:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• only an hour? i'm lucky if she stops for an hour a day! having recently mastered the training-wheeled bike, she is always going somewhere.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Like most of the other moms- my kids get way more than an hour. They have PE everyday at school. Then after school, they are involved in many sports and activites. My 12 year old has PE everyday, immediately after school goes to ball practice (school sports) and then finishes that up just in time to go to the ball practice for the youth league. My 9 year old has PE everyday and then 3-4 days a week has either ball practice or a game. My 17 year old on the other hand- well that's a different story.....lol
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:46 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Yes. My son is out of school at 2pm. My son is outside as much as possible riding his bike, playing football, basketball or baseball outside with friends. We have a huge lot next to us that the kids play sports at. My son has way more than an hour a day. Not having a TV and all the video games helps with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• An hour? LOL. I can hardly get my kids to sit still. I don't think my family needs to worry about THAT one.
    Anonymous