has anyone tried "your baby can read" program?

i seen a commercial on tv about it and read about it online. i was just wondering if anyone has tried it at all.it seems crazy for kids less than a year old can read...let me know what u think about it all

netters4408

Asked by netters4408 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah, do a search on this, because this is discussed quite often.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Here's a link to Penn & Teller's "Bullshit" episode about this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/weep555/video/xr9wa_104-second-hand-smoke-baby-bullshit

It's about 20 minutes in....
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• its a bunch of bologna...
    Anonymous

• I looked into it. BAD idea.
    Teaching a child to sight read BEFORE they learn phonics may very well doom them to being a bad reader for life. I found studies on this that found that while kids who learn to read by simply recognizing words are better readers at the start, they quickly fall behind kids who learn phonics and never catch back up. They aren't certain why but here's my thought...Phonics is hard. It takes effort to learn to decode a word but that's how the best readers read. Once a child learns to "read" the other way, they have a "why should I bother to work that hard, I can already read" attitude.
    Don't doom your child. Skip this expensive piece of junk. Teach the alphabet names. Teach letter sounds. Teach her to READ.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I actually have this for my 10 month old daughter, and she really enjoys the first video, as well as the flip-open books that come with the set. I do not have any high expectations regarding her future reading skills, but she seems to enjoy what we are doing right now. I can understand the concerns about not using phonics (I was taught to read at a Montesorri school, which is almost exclusively phonetic-teaching) but I do more than the system shows. I hold my daughter on my lap and I sing the ABC song, and whenever we read the books, I say the word, then sound out each letter, then say the word again showing her the picture. I don't know how much help this might be, but I have no intention of NOT teaching my daughter phonics as well as word-recognition.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 3:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2009