Forced to preform abortions?

Obama to Repeal Bush Abortion Regulation
The regulation, instituted in the last days of the Bush administration, strengthened job protections for doctors and nurses who refuse to provide a medial service because of moral qualms.

I do NOT think this is right! There are PLENTY of Dr's out there who will perform this procedure for you should you CHOOSE it. I do NOT think that a Dr. who has a moral objection to abortions should be forced to perform them. How awful.

For the record I also do not think Dr's should be forced to help patients with assisted suicide.

What say you? I know many believe it's a womans choice (and many don't) but shouldn't a Dr have a choice too?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/03/03/obama-repeal-bush-abortion-regulation/

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Even IF abortion is legal it does NOT mean a doctor should be forced to do it!!! HOW awful. If a doctor doesn't feel comfortable performing a procedure he refers you now, why should this be different?

I would find a new line of work before murdering a child, despite years of medschool. This is wrong.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 10:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yes. i do believe the Dr. should have a choice. I do not believe it is right to force a doctor into a procedure they feel is unethical. and i am Pro choice for woman.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Many are saying they will. One senator IS an OBGYN and he says they can put him in jail first or he will quit. With so man OBGYNs quiting b/c of the soaring ins. costs this is NOT something we need!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• No Bush's action did way more than just give protection to doctors. It also gave pharmacists permission to refuse to fill a prescription for birth control pills. It gave permission for pharmacists to deny a woman Plan B (which is NOT the abortion pill). It basically gave anyone working around birth control or in a hospital, in any capacity, the ability to deny doing their job because of a belief that it is wrong.

I was raped and had to get Plan B (as I was trying to conceive a child with my husband). Should I have been denied that right because the person who happened to be working behind the counter doesn't agree with birth control? It was the hardest decision of my life but I wanted a child conceived in my marriage to be mine and my husband's, not some creeps! That was my choice (oh, and we only have 1 pharmacy in our town).
    Anonymous

• (con't)... the way what Bush did was written, could also be extrapolated so that a cashier (yes, a cashier!!!) could prevent selling you condoms!!!

Sorry, no one should have that much say in what I do or do not purchase.
    Anonymous

• Anon...you could have gone to ANOTHER place. And fine then tweak it. But he is trying to force the hand of these Dr's. NOT RIGHT.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Good! Sorry but if my life was in jeopardy and I had to have an abortion to survive, I wouldn't want the doctor walking out of the room saying "sorry, hon, I don't believe in abortion, you are just going to have to wait for someone else." and then me die in the process. I don't want the 3 children I already have growing up without a mother because a doctor would refuse to save my life.
    Anonymous

• Are you a Dr.?? If not, why do you care? This isn't your battle to be fighting! Just live life, man and relax-worry about yourself.
    Anonymous

• Plan B, to some, is possible abortion that you would have never "known" of. It is possible for an egg to fertilize hours after intercourse, and SOME believe that this is the start of life (when there is a complete unique human genome). Therefore YES I agree a pharmacist should not HAVE to give out this medicine, if you don't like it take your business elsewhere.

I think you can "debate" when life begins once the egg and sperm have the potential to meet - to me this doesn't include condoms, but that's only to me.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 10:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• momof... you obviously do not live in the boondocks. Believe it or not but there are still places in this country that are backwards and don't have a pharmacy on every corner, or even a walmart.
    Anonymous